Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

I have spoiled or wrecked my chickens since they were born. As soon as it started getting cold her I put the red heat lamps on them high enough that they couldn't get hurt. Every morning when I go out they are not under the lamps but I felt better giving them some heat. I have noticed some black spots on some of the girls but mostly on the rooster on his waddle. Felt terrible that I was the cause of this so last night after reading everyone's posts on the minus degree weather you all have and never use the heat lamps, I didn't turn mine on last night. Worried about them although the temp wasn't that cold, still in the 20's. They survived and I guess I did to although I didn't get much sleep from worrying about them. We are all alive and doing well so guess I have you all to thank for drumming it into this thick skull that CHICKENS can survive in the colder weather. THANKS for making me think.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

This is my first winter having chickens and I have worried myself sick over them being too cold. Their pen is reasonably closed in, but originally it wasn't built to be used year-round, so I've been worrying and praying that they would be fine. Here in NB, Canada we've had an easy winter so far... until this past week when we've hit temps in the -20F range with windchills going down as far as -30F. The last couple of mornings I've dreaded going out to the pen for fear they'd all be frozen to death but guess what - they've been FINE! Yep, they're cold. Egg production is way down, but heck, they probably want to lay an egg about as much as I want to go outside to check on them!

I haven't read all the posts here... but I just had to add my bit to say thanks for reassuring me that my girls and boys will be fine. I treat them daily with fresh warm water in their waterer and when it's nasty cold they get their laying mash mixed with hot water (which they LOVE). I'm looking forward to spring, and especially to this cold snap breaking, but until then at least I know I won't end up with a pen full of chicken popsicles.
big_smile.png

Thanks!

well! i wish i had seen this posting earlier before the winter got in the low temps! i guess i will just have to wait til next year to do the no heat thing!

i feel like a huge fool now!!
hide.gif

So are there daytime temps that make you keep your chickens in the coop? I started another post asking but it almost makes more sense to add it in here. It is 3 now no wind and my groups wanted out. They werent taking no for an answer today!!!!
lol.png

What about yours???

Two nights of no heat lamp and they are making me pay. Egg production is down. Only got 13 eggs out of the 24 girls BUT I never did get 24 eggs in a day. Only got 18-20. Today will be another day to see what they do as far as egg laying. Day time temps are to be in the 30's with sun so hopefully they will get back to laying well. Had a talk with them last night and said either it improves or someone will be my dinner. Do you think it might work? LOL

I have a red heat bulb in my coop that's on a thermostat. When the temps went into the teens here I adjusted it to come on when it got down to around 17 degrees in the coop. It kept the extreme cold off their molting backs and brought their production up some. I put straw in the run for them to spread and scratch in and bales of straw making a corner barrier against the frigid wind. They're happy chickens.

Quote:
I think mine start spending more time inside at -15F. Even with the wind.
smile.png

Molting chickens, injured and recuperating chickens... may need heat.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom