Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Quote:
My chickens didn't mind it outside as low as about 32F, as long as they could still peck grass... but the moment there was snow on the ground I could leave the door wide open and they wouldn't set one foot out. LOL! Can't wait for the snow to melt so they can get back out and stretch their skinny legs!
smile.png

I live in Ontario Canada and this past week end it went to -25 and my chickens managed just fine. My coops are not insulated nor heated. I figure all the other birds that live outside manage in this cold so chicken can too. I do give my girls cracked corn to help raise body temp

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
I think mine start spending more time inside at -15F. Even with the wind.
smile.png

Molting chickens, injured and recuperating chickens... may need heat.
wink.png

WOW!!! Those are some hardy birds!!!!
smile.png

Quote:
My chickens didn't mind it outside as low as about 32F, as long as they could still peck grass... but the moment there was snow on the ground I could leave the door wide open and they wouldn't set one foot out. LOL! Can't wait for the snow to melt so they can get back out and stretch their skinny legs!
smile.png

Try shoveling a small area and throwing some shavings or hay down onto it. Throw some scratch or sunflower seeds on top. That'll get them out.
Seriously, try it. Guaranteed to work or your money back, or something.

My little speech to the girls did the trick. Instead of the 13 like yesterday or maybe even less, I went out about 5:20 and found the 20th egg. Guess none of them wanted to be in the freezer. LOL Hope everyone is enjoying the chickens today.

lau.gif
I do the same thing... "What'll it be, Ladies?? Meat...? Eggs...? Meat...? Eggs...?" They usually choose eggs.
wink.png

Time to repeat: Please read the first post, if nothing else.

For those of you hesitating to post because you think you'll be slammed... it is OK to add heat to your coop. Just do it safely, and don't do it too early. Your chickens can handle much colder temps than you can like they were sunning in the Bahamas.
smile.png
And please, only add enough heat to get it just above freezing... too much, and you're likely to have more problems with moisture, mold, etc. And the inevitable power outage will just plummet them back into the freezer, so don't over-do it.
smile.png

Last January (it was about 20 °F) I took one of my Orpington roos to a class, and they had the room temp set at about 65°F. You think, not bad, everyone will be comfortable, right? Not so... within 20 minutes my poor boy was panting, drinking water like it was going out of style, and lying down on his side with his wing up for a breeze. He was HOT. Because he was used to being outside where it was much cooler. He had a wonderful thick down coat.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Last January (it was about 20 °F) I took one of my Orpington roos to a class, and they had the room temp set at about 65°F. You think, not bad, everyone will be comfortable, right? Not so... within 20 minutes my poor boy was panting, drinking water like it was going out of style, and lying down on his side with his wing up for a breeze. He was HOT. Because he was used to being outside where it was much cooler. He had a wonderful thick down coat.
smile.png

Ah no, he was showing off his purty feathers for everyone... "Look, under the wing there, see those lovely thick feathers?"

I have had no eggs for 2 weeks... and it WARM??? Sup with that?​

Here in Mn we are experiencing a heat wave
lol.png
It has been above 0. All my birds have survived the -20 to -30's and have lived to lay eggs the other day I found 15 chicken eggs and finally the first duck egg!

Hey mommyofthreewithchicks! I'm so excited to see someone else who is from MN!! I too am LOVING the heat! I think I saw the sun 2 times yesterday!
lol.png

P.s....It got down to -45*f in Northern Minnesota earler this month. Wounder how they all did?
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom