Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

What do I need to prepare for Tori? Cold or snow??
sad.png

Quote:
Here in Mn we have to worry about the hot weather too. Last year we were very nervous about the 105 temps we had for a week. Course I think you guys down south have to worry about it a lot more. My birds were fine but many around me had dead birds from the heat...

Good Eye Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain! Of course that's exactly what he is.
I was gone after the reponses started comming in with questions so I'm grateful you stepped up to the plate with perfect information.

Yeah, funny thing ALMOST happened to Elvis. A real breeder came by to purchase (trade - 3 of my roos for 5 of his soon to be hatched pullets) and I told him he couldn't have Elvis or Pretty Boy, well, when I double checked, just before he left, I found I had handed him Elvis instead of a different bird
ep.gif
. My husband would have killed me!!!!! That's HIS bird. We traded for the right bird just minutes before he left for the 2 hour trip home. Phew! Yep everyone loves Elvis. (Elvis included)

We're expectng -9 with 50mph winds and a blizzard Tuesday night and Wednesday day. We're adding another windbreak to the opposite side of the coop so the will have no wind at all in the coop area. That should do it don't you think Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain? They are well acclimated to the current cold.

PS If you're new to the thread please go back and read the first page.

Last edited:
Here in the Colorado Plains:

Today: high of 21 (which was at midnight) dropping to 13 by noon with a low tonight of -6 tonight. Tomorrow: a high of -2 with a low of -18. Expecting 4-7 inches of snow but we already have ice everywhere.

I let my black australorps out to wander in the backyard anyway (for a couple of hours only tho). The others are staying in the coops, and I need to inforce one of the smaller coops to keep them warm. Found a frozen egg in that one this morning. It might have been blue; hard to tell with all of the cracks.

Bummer.

Was so concerned about them that I didn't sleep last night. Maybe a total of an hour.

I'll be going out every few hours with a container of hot water and extra treats for everyone, including the goats. And I'll be lighting a fire in the fireplace in a few.

Bbbbbrrrrrr!

Quote:
Here in Mn we have to worry about the hot weather too. Last year we were very nervous about the 105 temps we had for a week. Course I think you guys down south have to worry about it a lot more. My birds were fine but many around me had dead birds from the heat...

Yeah, I almost lost Rainbow in the heat last summer. I thought she was with the rest of my birds in the shade, but turns out she was sitting on some eggs in the really hot house. By the time we saw she wasn't with them it was almost too late. She was so hot she couldn't walk. I was sure she was done for. But thanks to God, we got her out, wet her down and she made it. After that I was sure to put up some outside nesting boxes!

We're having "sympathy snow" here today...
lol.png
It's snowing hard! But no wind, and right at freezing. It's perfect! I even opened the pop doors so the chooks could go outside. They love it!!

IT'S NOT TOO COLD FOR THEM HERE, AND IT IS **WICKED** COLD OUT THERE!!!!!

We are in MN and have had a heck of a winter so far with record snowfall and horribly cold temps. Our coldest air temp (this is not including windchill, mind you) was -30 F. It was a great day for fun science experiments in the driveway (throw boiling water into the air to watch it freeze in mid-air after blowing bubbles and watching them freeze and land on the ground as white, crumbled little objects). The windchill is obviously much colder....I believe we have hit windchills in the -35 to -40 range. We have had times where the temps were well below 0 for days in a row.

We have a sturdy coop, to which I added clear plastic around some areas to create a bit more wind protection. I also made sure the nest box area was sealed well with extra weather stripping to prevent too many drafts under the lid. The two small vents are still left open. On the very coldest of days, I have kept them in the house portion and not opened the door to the attached run other than to feed and water them. I don't have a heated water bowl, as I personally know a family whose house burned to the ground due to one.... Instead, I provide very warm water in the AM and re-check it mid-day. Should I be late with fresh water, they have been perfectly able to chip at the ice to get to the unfrozen portion. Obviously, I try to keep water for them, rather than ice, but water freezes incredibly fast in those temps!!

I have not provided any sort of heat at all, and they are totally fine. I know others who have put in a light for most of the day to promote egg laying, but I am still getting eggs most days of the week without it.

It is bitter cold out there, and they seem happy as clams...or chickens....
big_smile.png

My coop is not insulated and I have never put any lamp in my coop. We have had a lot of snow and the temp is now usually around 10-20F (Sometimes went up to 30F). We also had below zero temperature 3 days in raw... But my chickens have been totally fine and very active. They are more cold adopted than us, and I even feel warm if the temp hit 30F after experiencing horrible chilling days!

Back
Top Bottom