Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Not that I have any control over the weather, but I feel a tad guilty for the 35F we have here today...
hide.gif

Well, Being a Californian I feel I must brag abou the 70s we had last week and the low to upper 60s we have this week.
*Gasp* What is that I hear??? A ROBIN? Heck yeah!
cool.png

Quote:
Oh we have robins, zero degrees and 16" snow does not stop the robins.........I have to admit it does slow them down a bit though.

You are right. The idea of a robin being an idicator of spring has almost always been an obvious lie to me. I lived in N IA for awhile and was amazed when I saw a robin on a sunny 0 degree day with a wind chill of -15. I felt betrayed when I suffered another two months of winter freeze. lol

It's 12* here, sunny, slight breeze, feels wonderful!. It is the second sunny day in a row! Cleaned up the chicken coop, pulled out the roost boards and the poop board and they are "sunning". Left the nest box covers open to the outside so sun can get in for an hour. The birds are singing.(Wild ones, not the chooks!) though I think if they sang, today would be the day. Snow up to about 1' to the top of the chicken fence. Shoveled almost all the way around so vermin can't just walk over the fence. We've got another 6 weeks of this..............

Quote:
I'm a CA girl living in the wonderful midwest USA where today the high forecast is for 17degrees. Now at noon it's almost there at 15, with a wind chill of 2. I've lived here for going on 42 yrs I wouldn't trade this for anything you get in California. Glad you're having those temps this time of year if you like it, but there's NOTHING like getting to live where you have the four seasons of weather. The only thing I miss about CA is the ocean. Ohhh I do miss that!!

Quote:
I'm a CA girl living in the wonderful midwest USA where today the high forecast is for 17degrees. Now at noon it's almost there at 15, with a wind chill of 2. I've lived here for going on 42 yrs I wouldn't trade this for anything you get in California. Glad you're having those temps this time of year if you like it, but there's NOTHING like getting to live where you have the four seasons of weather. The only thing I miss about CA is the ocean. Ohhh I do miss that!!

I agree with you. Mostly I like the long growing seasons...and yes, the ocean. My favorite season is fall and that seems to last all winter here. Nothing makes one appreciate spring and summer like a nice cold winter.

frow.gif
I live in Ohio, Just 14 miles north of Parkersburg, W.VA. I do not have heat lamps in my coop. We have noticed the water does not freeze overnight. We keep 6" of straw on the floor, so the hens curl up beside the roo if they need more heat. These crazy birds look at us as if we cause the cold temps in the morning!
barnie.gif

Im a born and raised Californian and I must say we used to have the 4 seasons but no longer. Our weather has definately change but then again so have I. I use to love the 4 seasons and summer was the best season of all but now that I am older I can't deal with the cold or the hot anymore. My best season now is Spring where everything comes to life. I live in northern CA and woke up to 29 degrees this a.m. and to me it's brrrrr. My gals don't seem to mind it though. ;0}

Hehehe... born and raised in San Diego...
frow.gif

We're going to pay for the nice weather we've been having... forecast is for -15F tomorrow, and to stay there for a while. Don't know whether it's going to mess up the girls or not. Hope not. I've been enjoying all the eggs.

I had two roosters that, no matter how hard I tried to keep them inside during the worst of the weather, insisted on staying outdoors. The majority of their combs have now fallen off, and they look like they were dubbed at birth. Odd thing is, these two are the most amorous of my group.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom