Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Checking in this morning at -6F. We had snow, in the upper 20s the last two days, then yesterday the temps just started dropping out. Beautiful clear morning, the moon and accompanying planet were spectacular on the horizon.
smile.png
Got a big storm through the Bering sea headed this way in the next few days, so I'll be adding bedding to the coop and cleaning, since the high winds will likely keep the birds close to the coop for the next few days.

Just checked the temps... -6F outside, +21F in the layer coop an hour after most of the birds have booked it outside. Not warm enough to keep eggs laid on the floor from freezing, but if I can get out there soon to open up the nest boxes they I won't have to worry about it.
smile.png

Have a great day everyone...

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Checking in this morning at -6F. We had snow, in the upper 20s the last two days, then yesterday the temps just started dropping out. Beautiful clear morning, the moon and accompanying planet were spectacular on the horizon.
smile.png
Got a big storm through the Bering sea headed this way in the next few days, so I'll be adding bedding to the coop and cleaning, since the high winds will likely keep the birds close to the coop for the next few days.

Just checked the temps... -6F outside, +21F in the layer coop an hour after most of the birds have booked it outside. Not warm enough to keep eggs laid on the floor from freezing, but if I can get out there soon to open up the nest boxes they I won't have to worry about it.
smile.png

Have a great day everyone...

oh my word. i am glad i am here in the deep south!!!!!​

Here in Fairbanks it was -35 in town, -25 up here in the hills. The coop looks nice with a blanket of 8 inches of snow over the room and steps and chicken ramp, but all is still out there.

Can't wait to get my chicks!!! March.... 4 months away....

Quote:
And -47F yesterday morning at my place, -42F at around 7pm.

I suppose it's time for me to chime in.....
It's been cold. A week ago when it was dropping to -30F I turned the heat lamp on over the goats.
(goats and chickens are in the same small barn, separated though)
Aside from using a 100watt oil pan heater pad under the chicken waterer (which is under the nest boxes) the chickens have no added heat.
The heat lamp over the goats stall does raise the overall air temp. a bit, not sure how much, it's still very very cold in there.

At -47F the chickens were clearly cold and not happy, guess I need more warm chicken bodies.

I'm not certain when I will add more direct heat for the chickens, maybe at -50? I don't know.

Quote:

It's been cold. A week ago when it was dropping to -30F I turned the heat lamp on over the goats.
Aside from using a 100watt oil pan heater pad under the chicken waterer (which is under the nest boxes) the chickens have no added heat.
The heat lamp over the goats stall does raise the overall air temp. a bit, not sure how much, it's still very very cold in there.

At -47F the chickens were clearly cold and not happy, guess I need more warm chicken bodies.

I'm not certain when I will add more direct heat for the chickens, maybe at -50? I don't know.

Wow. Let us know how you do. That kind of cold is beyond my ability to even imagine!

A bit off topic...my parents met in Fairbanks in the late 1940s. I have old black and white pictures of tons of snow on roofs and icicles that reach the ground.

"At -47F the chickens were clearly cold and not happy, guess I need more warm chicken bodies "

What else could they be ??? I know I've posted here before but I truly can't imagine asking animals to live in that kind of cold? Chickens are not meant to live in subartic conditions. I'm just blown away that they do.
bow.gif

So I guess I really don't need to worry about my girls with the temps in the low 30's! Threw in some more bedding tonight and hope the other girls let my EE on the roost.

Quote:

I have a question..... WHY do you live there? It is only November, and you are in deep negative numbers already? Come now. Be good to yourself and move to a bit warmer place... Unless you are counting on global warming making you average around 70 degrees in the near future!
wink.png

Why do I live here??

Because they make engine block heaters and autostarts and down filled expedition parkas with coyote ruffs that make it possible.

Because there aren't any traffic jams.

Because wilderness is only minutes away.

Because the spirit of the people here is remarkable.

Because there are so many great things to do here.

Because there are no snakes, fire ants, tornadoes, hurricanes, skunks, racoons, or killer bees

Because I don't have to wear make-up or spiked heels to fit in.

Because the northern lights are beautiful.

And as for the birds, the ravens, chickadees, great horned owls, red poll finches, ptarmigans, spruce hens, and even the mallards that live year round on the Chena River do just fine, and they live here by choice, not by captivity.

I go to warmer places to visit sometimes, but life here is a blessing, and I won't give it up soon.

Back
Top Bottom