Think like a chicken

dead johnny

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 22, 2013
North Coast
I don't remember never having chickens around the house....and I'm 60 + years old. I've never been huge on using a pc, much less joining a .com thing of any kind. This is pretty much a first for me.
My wife & I chose to relocate several years ago due to a job opportunity & the chickens were not part of the move. A lifetime later I took my boys to the local feed store a few weeks ago and they drifted to the chicks. Though I'm an 'old guy', my boys are young (8 & 9). They begged relentlessly for a couple chicks which I knew would turn into a new addition to their life. I said "pick a couple chicks plus a spare in case one dies". Little did they know, Pop is always right....Johnny died (one of the white leghorn chicks), a very sad day.
Replacing Johnny was quite a process which I won't go into. We now have eight chicks, and of course they'll grow up and eventually lay eggs.
We sign in to BYC as "dead johnny" to commemorate an adventurous wonderful little chick who introduced my boys to the realities of life....and death. They are poised to learn much more. I may or may not keep everyone posted. Bob

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry about your rooster but, glad to find out you weren't' "dead Johnny." I'm basically computer illiterate - a black sheep in our family - so I can't do any fancy stuff like other posters do with ease. But I can click and delete and backspace and that pretty much gets me where I'm going (eventually). The people and info. on here is well worth the effort.

Greetings from Kansas, Bob, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! Great that you are getting back into chickens and introducing them to the boys as well. The story and lesson of Johnny is just one the kids will learn. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

So sorry about the loss of one of your flock members. These things do happen. And hey, don't sweat your age...I am RIGHT behind you in the years. LOL Chickens are fun no matter what your age and quite frankly, they have given me a few years back with all the love they have to share. Enjoy BYC!

Thanks for the welcome. Just when you think you're an island, you're not. We too are home schooling our boys (now 8 & 9 years old). Its not an easy task compared to putting them on a bus and getting them back in the afternoon. I could be doing lots of other things around the house besides doing school. My wife has many things on the back burner all the time. Our boys' education cannot be left to chance, so the gutters don't get cleaned before the rains. The baseboards are dusty etc (you name the task).
I hang my hat on Romans 8:28. I doubt a dusty baseboard or fingerprints on the glass door will be an issue in Heaven. I do want my family there. My boys have gleaned quite a bit from the chicks already (the chicken was first, not the egg, the trinity vs. shell, whites, & yolk).
Again, thanks from the North Coast for the welcome. Bob

Back
Top Bottom