Think my broody has failed but not quite sure

Littlepetal

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2017
New Zealand
Hi, my broody is now late into day 22 sitting on 10 eggs from two different breeders that I collected by car 30mins from home. I have candled 3 and see an airsac, but can’t make out the chick at all as there seems to be light showing through just not as much as the airsac (I’m using my iPhone torch), there doesn’t seem to be a solid mass of chick in there? No chirping, I float tested and they passed but didn’t move.

So curiosity got the better of me and I cracked one open, nothing had even developed! Was just yolk and white. Ended up cracking nearly all and they all had the same problem, one had a small dark bit, where did the broody go wrong? She was so good at sitting and has hatched for me before. As infertile doesn’t make sense due to two different sources

I float tested and they passed but didn’t move.
Float testing..Passed?
Float testing soon to hatch eggs is risky and not accurate.
If broody is proven a good setter and stayed tight, then eggs must not have been fertile.
This time if year can be a crap shoot with colder temps and short days males might not be as active.

Hmmm it’s Spring here but we have had temperature extremes with snow and the summer like days
Oh. Have you gotten hatching eggs from these folks before?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-29_18-24-13.png

HuH, it's a mystery!
If you are sure your broody stayed sitting tight the whole time,
it could only be the fertility of the eggs.
But odd that eggs from 2 sources were infertile.
:idunno

She did seem to stay put nearly the whole time (apart from once daily duties), and on the cold days didn’t even come out! I wonder if it was too cold as her nest box was raised but didn’t have much bedding in it until later

Back
Top Bottom