Think my chicken is dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kated, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kated

kated New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    I have a chicken tonight who did not return to her coop. I found her under a tree and it was raining. She has never liked being handled but let me collect her up and i put her in a coop on her own. When i put her in she lay there on her side and didn't move. I think she is around 2 or 3 years old. It has been quite cold here in Scotland UK, but the others in the flock seem fine even the moulting one. Any ideas what it could be? What do i do with if i go out in the morning and she hasn't made it. What do you do with a dead chicken?

2. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I'm sorry your chicken is feeling under the weather. It could be lots of things, sometimes chickens will get sick and die for seemingly no reason.

As for dead chickens, honestly we usually leave them in the nearest wooded area to be taken by wildlife. You can also bury if you wish.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Aww I'm so sorry. You can look listen and feel for what the problem might be. how is her breathing? As for the last part of your question I always burry my dead.

4. kated

kated New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    I left her in the coops so I didn't really get any time to monitor her it was dark . What I did see it was quick before I caught her. Thank you for your help x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by