Think one hen has bumble foot

Rick M

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
Southwest Missouri
I have a hen that is a little over a year and a half old that has a spot between her toes. It has gotten bigger after I thought she may have stepped on a thorn. It's about 2 weeks and now I can see it's getting worse. I've looked up bumble feet on the forums and pictures and just want to make sure it is what you all think also. She seems to be getting around ok and eating and drinking normally. The foot just has the spot on top and now after looking at it on bottom also.it is swelled around the main part of the leg where the toes connect. Thanks for any help.
20190929_175405.jpg 20190929_175424.jpg 20190929_175503.jpg

Looks like a particularly nasty case of bumble. I've only done the surgery once, a long time ago. Hopefully those with more knowledge will step in shortly.

It is a staph infection, I do know you want to wear gloves when messing with it for sure.

That is a very nasty case of bumble foot. You need to soak her for awhile in an epsom salt bath then get the plug and any core/puss out. After its all clear, put antibiotic ointment(no pain killer in it) on the sore, then wrap with gauze and vet wrap. Repeat treatment daily until better. Make sure she keeps eating and drinking. Good luck! And wear gloves!

That is a very nasty case of bumble foot. You need to soak her for awhile in an epsom salt bath then get the plug and any core/puss out. After its all clear, put antibiotic ointment(no pain killer in it) on the sore, then wrap with gauze and vet wrap. Repeat treatment daily until better. Make sure she keeps eating and drinking. Good luck! And wear gloves!
Thank you.

Yikes that's one of the worst bumblefoot cases I've seen in a while! Look up some videos of bumblefoot surgery and watch a few before you start, just to have an idea of what you'll need to do.
If you can, have someone else hold the chicken while you perform the surgery. I had someone hold my chicken in a towel, then I put a loose tube sock over her head to help keep her calm (with a hole in the end to stick her beak through to breathe).

After surgery, I kept my hen in a cage in the house for about a week, while soaking in epsom salt water and changing her bandages daily, until her foot was healed enough. Though her case wasn't as severe as your hen's, so yours may have to be monitored a bit longer. Best of luck to you and your girl!

Back
Top Bottom