think that my girl has ascites UPDATE!! CHICKEN BETTER

I just hope that I am doing the right thing. it seems like she hass all of the symptoms that has been described. I might wake up tomorrow and she be gone but I will do what I can tomorrow! Jus send me happy thoughts because its gonna be hard to do this cause I don't wanna hurt her!

Your so brave doin this . After you do this if for some reason she doesn't make it don't blame yourself because your doin a wonderful
job! Keep me updated. good luck!! lanie8

thanks i just hope everything turns out ok!!! ill post again tomorrow after I drain her. Ima bring her inside tomorrow. I wonder if I could get a needle from CVS. I really dont wanna drive the 30 min drive to tractor supply but i might have too. I just wish that I would wake up and she be ok!!!
hit.gif

When you post what happens whats the subject going to be? i just want to make sure that i can find you because i recently joined byc, and i'm still figureing every think out. thanks

I have a hen that I've been treating for ascites for three years. She gets drained at the vet every 3-4 months and is doing very well.
Be prepared to draw off a lot of fluid. When my hen gets drained, the vet normally draws off around 400cc (about 15-16ozs). You don't have to do it all at one time, but don't plan on just one or two 1cc syringes full as having done the job.
The vet I use inserts the needle below the vent and off to one side. You don't have to go very deep as the fluid is in her abdominal cavity and not in her intestines. If you accidently puncture her intestines, its not a big deal if you have a small diameter needle (like diabetics use) as the hole will seal when you extract it. You should withdraw a clear to straw colored liquid. If you get something else, green or brown, you've probably gotten into her intestines. Withdraw the needle and try again.
You'll need to treat the underlying cause of ascites. There are several causes but the two most prominent causes are congestive heart failure and fattly liver syndrome. There's not much you can do for the first cause but you can treat the second. Don't give her sugary treats such as fruit or bread. My vet prescribes milk thistle extract which I give her every day. People and animals use it to aid liver health and you can buy it over the counter in health food stores. It's normally in pill form which can be crushed and mixed with water to be squirted in her mouth with a syringe. It won't cure the ascites but mitigates the symptoms and delays the need to have her abdomen drained.
You're doing the right thing. Left untreated, ascites fluid build up puts pressure on the heart and respiratory system which will eventually kill the bird if left untreated. Good luck with your her...we're pulling for her.

I WAS RIGHT
wee.gif
!!! it was ascites!!! I drained about 2 1/2 cups out of her!!! she is acting better already:celebrate. I noticed though that her breast meat is gone like there is nothing there??? will this come back??? I dont know where in the world to get milk thistle but ill look. she is by herself rightn I pulled them out she now I though that I would let her finish. I used a 18 g needle and when I pulled them out she kept draining and draining. can she drain tomuch. It was a yellowy orangey cooler. I am so glad that this was the right diagnosis. thanks for all the help I couldnt have done it without Backyard chickens:bow!!! ill post pics soon. she is half the size that she was!!

me too! I hear that I am going to have to do tis again. i just wish that she wouldnt have to keep going through this! poor emma!!! but as for now I have helped her for now. I am going to try and find some milk thistle I guess. Ive heard that it will help!

Back
Top Bottom