Think the 3rd ducking hatched is blind or a has sight problem

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
I could be wrong but my three ducklings were hatched 3 days apart the youngest hangs tight to the 2 bigger ducklings and they hover over baby as if protecting at all times. They got to go outside yesterday and do there first explore and when the baby gets separated by inches goes into a panic.

Anyone know the signs of a blind duckling. In dogs these would be the first signs and it is showing all
Slower growth (almost 1/2 the rate)
needing to touch its siblings at all times
panic when separated.
I want to apologize but I have to leave for work right now but will check in when I get home
let me know if anyone can add thoughts

he seams to see shadows and ducks - but direct what is is dos not seem to happen like the other ducks hat focus on it till they understand it

Put something like dried mealworms down in front if he has been introduced to them and he can see them he should gobble them up. Make sure his two partners aren’t there so they tip him off. Put a mirror down close to him. My two duckling love to look at themselves in the mirror.

Hi Miss Lydia I will give it a try, zucchini chunks are there favorite, I was playing with it today a bit, I cant take his siblings away from him at this point when I do he starts running in crazy circles and into the wall of his house chirping in fear and will not stop till one is put back with him he is only 3 days younger than the other 2 and 1/2 the size. but healthy in every other way. He has the same behavior when I take them for a walk or play with them in the kitchen if he gets more than a few inches away from them he screams and runs in circles till they come back and get him and they do.
the 2 older ones like to be touched but he just goes into fear mode when your hand gets close. He had the easiest quickest hatch of all 3
I looked on all the forums and there was very little about blind poultry. our with sight problems.

PS have raised zucchini every year for his parents only veggy that grows as fast as they do.

The Plane the Plane (the trio)
we had a plain go over the 2 older stood still pointed one eye to the shy and watched it pass just like there folks. the little one sat down between them. But the good news he seems to see things close up when in a closed area. I may just be over thinking this and he is taking longer to develop. We are all 3 getting our pin tail feathers his started to come in exactly on schedule 3 days after the oldest. Im almost sure the "well at least 50%" that the 2 oldest are Girls I vent sexed at 5 days. He might be a drake which might explain the smaller size.
anyway yes sight impaired but not blind or just another Drake with control issues.

Has anyone else found that the Male runners are smaller at first
I know with my 2 older runners my drake was smaller and finer lined but till now these are the only ones iv raised.
Yes I overthink everything silly me
JoAnn

The Plane the Plane (the trio)
we had a plain go over the 2 older stood still pointed one eye to the shy and watched it pass just like there folks. the little one sat down between them. But the good news he seems to see things close up when in a closed area. I may just be over thinking this and he is taking longer to develop. We are all 3 getting our pin tail feathers his started to come in exactly on schedule 3 days after the oldest. Im almost sure the "well at least 50%" that the 2 oldest are Girls I vent sexed at 5 days. He might be a drake which might explain the smaller size.
anyway yes sight impaired but not blind or just another Drake with control issues.

Has anyone else found that the Male runners are smaller at first
I know with my 2 older runners my drake was smaller and finer lined but till now these are the only ones iv raised.
Yes I overthink everything silly me
JoAnn
I don't want to burst your bubble but my runner drakes are usually bigger.

Back
Top Bottom