Think these are raspberries!

LittleMissCountry

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 30, 2018
So I had posted awhile back asking if a plant was blackberry or raspberry. We moved to this property in August last year so I had no idea what was growing in the woods.
The blackberry bushes all have little blackberries growing, but I just noticed that the patch has some raspberries (I am pretty sure). I am attaching pics.

So we hit a gold mine with this property, in terms of wild fruits! Blackberries, blueberries and raspberries! I can't wait until my fruit trees start producing...I just planted them when we moved in so we have awhile.

Attachments

• 20180523_152709.jpg
    20180523_152709.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180523_152719.jpg
    20180523_152719.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 16
Very nice. Raspberries have much lighter undersides than blackberries, nearly silver. They also have many more/smaller thorns

The same basic care applies to both. Individual canes last two years and flower/fruit in the second year. They die after the second year and ideally should be removed to minimize disease/insect damage. Sounds like a nice homestead. Congrats.

I think you may be looking at another blackberry type. Not sure, but my raspberries have much smaller thorns and more pleated and serrated leaves.
Your place sounds wonderful, congratulations on it, and I hope it brings you a lifetime of joy!

I think you may be looking at another blackberry type. Not sure, but my raspberries have much smaller thorns and more pleated and serrated leaves.
Your place sounds wonderful, congratulations on it, and I hope it brings you a lifetime of joy!

Those look more like blackberries to me, because of the way they sort of stick up from the branch (my raspberries have always hung down), but either one is great and you'll soon find out! I hope they're sweet, but even if not, you can make delicious jam or baked goods out of them!
Either way, I am happy! The other bkackberries look much different. I am attaching a picture of the blackberries for reference.

Attachments

• 20180523_152704.jpg
    20180523_152704.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 15
So some of them are ripe now, and they are black raspberries! Most of them are still red, but we have gotten a handful of black ones and they are delicious! The chickens love them, too. The blackberries are still green and small, but the black raspberries are ripening already. I can't wait to pick them and make jam and cobbler!

Back
Top Bottom