Think we have Jumbo pekins.....

By 8 weeks you should know by the voice. Girls will have a loud honk and boys will have a wasp like grunt
If you do have 2 males and one female they can’t be left together
So either sell her off as females can find homes really easy or
Add more females to keep the boys happy
"Not more ducks!" (said no duckie parent ever)

Oooh I managed it!
Your ducks are lovely. I cannot tell from the photo if you have males or females. Nor can I know if they are jumbo.

My son has pekins he raised from a few days old, two females and a male. One female is crested and smaller than the other two.

Currently have 4 pekin drakes [one is actually my son's drake who joined us 6 weeks ago.] One of my pekin drakes is crested and smaller.

We also have muscovy. The non-crested pekins [male and female] are about the size of the smaller muscovy drake. None approaches the size of my larger muscovy who is both physically big and very heavy. [He's a great lump of soft, cuddly drake!]

Both the crested pekins [male and female] are a little larger than my son's muscovy female, but she is small by muscovy standards.

All pekin ducklings grow and put on weight quickly, far quicker than our muscovy ducklings did. But the pekin ducklings stop growing sooner -- at 2-3 months, whereas our muscovy carried on increasing in weight to 3-4 months.

To keep pekins healthy, just be sure to give them extra niacin -- even if they are on duck food, duck food is optimum nutrition for the average duck and pekins have greater than average needs. I add 1 tblspn brewer's yeast sprinked on top of each cupful of duck food I put in their bowl.

Whether you have males or females: most male pekins have a drake curled tail feather by 2-3 months old. One of mine molted his and it hasn't as yet grown back; the other lost all his tail feathers fighting with my muscovy. He is now getting new tail feathers growing back, but doesn't yet have a drake feather!! My two new rescues both have drake feathers. If you can take photographs from the side of your pekins' rear ends, we will be able to see if htey have drake feathers. But even if they don't at 8 weeks old, they may soon get them

By 8 weeks you should know by the voice. Girls will have a loud honk and boys will have a wasp like grunt
If you do have 2 males and one female they can’t be left together
So either sell her off as females can find homes really easy or
Add more females to keep the boys happy
My father in law has 2 female ducks, different breeds already. So if that's the case niffler will go with them and dobby and Pickett will be in their own enclosure next to them.

Your ducks are lovely. I cannot tell from the photo if you have males or females. Nor can I know if they are jumbo.

My son has pekins he raised from a few days old, two females and a male. One female is crested and smaller than the other two.

Currently have 4 pekin drakes [one is actually my son's drake who joined us 6 weeks ago.] One of my pekin drakes is crested and smaller.

We also have muscovy. The non-crested pekins [male and female] are about the size of the smaller muscovy drake. None approaches the size of my larger muscovy who is both physically big and very heavy. [He's a great lump of soft, cuddly drake!]

Both the crested pekins [male and female] are a little larger than my son's muscovy female, but she is small by muscovy standards.

All pekin ducklings grow and put on weight quickly, far quicker than our muscovy ducklings did. But the pekin ducklings stop growing sooner -- at 2-3 months, whereas our muscovy carried on increasing in weight to 3-4 months.

To keep pekins healthy, just be sure to give them extra niacin -- even if they are on duck food, duck food is optimum nutrition for the average duck and pekins have greater than average needs. I add 1 tblspn brewer's yeast sprinked on top of each cupful of duck food I put in their bowl.

Whether you have males or females: most male pekins have a drake curled tail feather by 2-3 months old. One of mine molted his and it hasn't as yet grown back; the other lost all his tail feathers fighting with my muscovy. He is now getting new tail feathers growing back, but doesn't yet have a drake feather!! My two new rescues both have drake feathers. If you can take photographs from the side of your pekins' rear ends, we will be able to see if htey have drake feathers. But even if they don't at 8 weeks old, they may soon get them
Thankyou I'll try and get those pics tomorrow. Do you happen to know the quantity they should have feed wise? And how many times a day? They have a bowl I just put the food in the bowl and they eat it. 3 times a day at the moment as they always seemed hungry.

Thankyou I'll try and get those pics tomorrow. Do you happen to know the quantity they should have feed wise? And how many times a day? They have a bowl I just put the food in the bowl and they eat it. 3 times a day at the moment as they always seemed hungry.
We give the laying females 1 cup of duck pellets each, two times each day. They have access to the leftover feed 24/7. They are very "food driven" and always come running up shouting for food when I visit them.

I would give my drakes the same 1 cup each twice per day but they don't eat as much. This is partly because they are not laying and so don't have the same nutitional needs, but also because they are free ranging and feeding themselves on bugs and weeds from my back yard. So, in practice, they all get a cupful in the evening in individual food bowls [they sleep in separate crates in the coop] and I put out a couple of cupsful of food in the morning by my patio -- it is never all eaten.

My two recently acquired pekin drakes that are in quarantine and so not free ranging, are eating one cup each morning and evening

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom