Thinking 2 of our Buff Orpington gals are in fact guys

Hi we have 4 buff Orpingtons very similar to yours. Supposedly the same age. They were only days old when we got em. We are at 16 weeks now. 1 was always bigger a 2nd finally equaled the others size. Their combs started much sooner than the other 2 smaller ones. No crowing yet but lots of talking. Like you still not sure if we don’t have a rooster or 2. Waiting for the eggs to show up surely at my chicks age it would be easier to tell their sex.
Do you have photos?

Hi we have 4 buff Orpingtons very similar to yours. Supposedly the same age. They were only days old when we got em. We are at 16 weeks now. 1 was always bigger a 2nd finally equaled the others size. Their combs started much sooner than the other 2 smaller ones. No crowing yet but lots of talking. Like you still not sure if we don’t have a rooster or 2. Waiting for the eggs to show up surely at my chicks age it would be easier to tell their sex.
Yep. We have lots and lots of talking lol

Pretty sure the 2 suspects are roosters. The three non-suspects have been getting roughed up a bit. Today there was lots of squawking and my daughter went out and discovered some bloody beaks... :(

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 17
Here's some pics of the gang today... I noticed that the one that laid today has little white tufts on her back. Not sure if that means anything or is just coincidence?

Also - We've had 4 eggs in three days. Two on Monday afternoon, one yesterday morning, and one this morning (so far). Is that one hen or 2? or?

• 1.jpg shows the 2 we were wondering about. The one on the left has laid at least one egg (today)
  • 2.jpg - another angle of the one that laid today (we've been calling her Bart)
  • bartandscaredy.jpg - Today's layer on right. The one with the s[eckled tail feathers is the smallest and bottom of the pecking order in our backyard.
  • flock.jpg - everyone. Today's layer is far right
  • stillasuspect.jpg - not sure if this is a rooster or possible also laying now? It doesn't behave like the one I saw laying today (not as docile, doesn't squat)
  • nest.jpg - pre-egg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • bartandscaredy.jpg
    bartandscaredy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • flock.jpg
    flock.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • flock2.jpg
    flock2.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 9
  • stillasuspect.jpg
    stillasuspect.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 9
  • nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 9
All pullets.
Good going.

you think the other one with comb and waddles is also a pullet? I guess what has been confusing me is that 2 could be so far ahead of the others developmentally. But I admittedly know precious little about chicken development or genetics. I suppose all 5 could be from different rooster/hen combinations - I didn’t think to ask the person I got them from how many hens/roos were in the mix and don’t think I have a way to contact them.

Back
Top Bottom