Thinking about a new coop.

asfalothgem

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
The coop we have now is way to big for 4 ducks and 5 chickens. It used to hold about 100 chickens or so and we bought it. It is so hard to keep warm in the winter and now the floor os starting to rot out. We need a new one. Going to start contruction on it soon hopefully. We are hatching some chicks so hopefully we will have about 10 chickens instead of 5 *fingers crossed* Does anyone have an example of a small coop that is easy to heat and ventilate? I'll post a picture of the current one in a while. It's big enough that my horses have been in it before! I just hate seeing them cold and winter is on it's way.

Have you thought of just partitioning off a corner, that way when the BUG really hits you can just move a wall and double your size, dont know if that is doable with what you have but if so it would be cheaper than starting over just to get smaller

Yes i have thought about that but the thing is really old and filthy and i would rather just build a new one and the floor boards are starting to give out now

100_0169.jpg

here it is in the winter. Like i said i could probably get about 10 ponies in that thing! we dont have that big fence anymore

I too would fix up that floor - partition it off and use part for the chickens, and part for storage of their food, bedding or even garden tools!

We have redone our cement block shed ((I didn't want to I wanted a really cute coop)) but, I am glad I listen to DH!!!

We put a new roof and I had to dig out old marter between cement blocks (I forget what they are called) and recement! lots of work, proubly cost just as much as a new one!

but, in long run I think we were better off ((after 4 months and still not done))

Looks like as good bones to start with!!!
I would put wall up (use deep litter to keep warmer)

we also get taxed on each shed on property so next year maybe well add on:lol:

Quote:
LOL, that would be me. I would LOVE to have something like that, dirt and rotten floor and all.

And I'd love to have space for more chickens too
wink.png

trish

Yeah, I agree with the others. That shed is completely worth saving IMO. I would repair the floor and save it for sure. This does not even account for the $ and time you would be saving.

Back
Top Bottom