Thinking about a pair or two of Button Quail, but need more knowledge?

LostGosling

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I have been thinking about purchasing a pair of buttons as pets and to breed. I don't know much about them and have a few questions.

#1 ~ Which would be a better place to keep them, inside in my room or outside in the barn?

#2 ~ Which would be a better cage for a pair of buttons, a screened in wooden cage or a 10 gallon reptile tank (Mine has a screened in top)?

#3 ~ Do they prefer warm or cool temperatures? Dry or humid?

#4 ~ Are they hardy?

#5 ~ Are they prone to any specific diseases?

#6 ~ Are they noisey?

#7 ~ Are they easy to take care of?

#8 ~ What should I feed them?

#9 ~ What should I bed them with (chips, straw, cob, etc)?

#10 ~ Would they be more comfortable positioned infront of a window, or in corner with artificial lighting?

#11 ~ How should I furnish their cage (nesting places, plants, sticks and twigs, hidey holes, etc)?

You don't have to try to answer all of my questions, but any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Had you read the stickies at the top of the Quail forum you would have answered most (if not all) of these questions on your own
smile.png

#1 ~ Which would be a better place to keep them, inside in my room or outside in the barn?

They are not cold hardy at all so the best place for them is a heated building (like your room)

#2 ~ Which would be a better cage for a pair of buttons, a screened in wooden cage or a 10 gallon reptile tank (Mine has a screened in top)?

As long as they are not walking on wire the screened-in cage would be best since it would offer the most air circulation (and prevent wet bedding)

#3 ~ Do they prefer warm or cool temperatures? Dry or humid?

They originate from the jungles of China, so they like a warm, humid environment.

#4 ~ Are they hardy?

As far as?? Cold hardy? Not at all. Disease tolerant? Not anymore than any other type of quail.

#5 ~ Are they prone to any specific diseases?

They can catch any and all type of diseases that chickens get plus some specific to quail only.

#6 ~ Are they noisey?

Check out videos on youtube. I don't think they are noisy but when all 24 males start calling it can be a bit annoying.

#7 ~ Are they easy to take care of?

As long as you realize they are not 'pets' and give them the proper care they need, they are not hard. Food, water, clean pen, proper housing...they are pretty easy.

#8 ~ What should I feed them?

I feed mine 20% medicated chick starter from hatch to death. They get oyster shells or cuttlebones when they are old enough to lay, then mealworms, millet sprays, and other types of stuff for treats. They really love oranges
smile.png

#9 ~ What should I bed them with (chips, straw, cob, etc)?

Anything you would use for chicks would be fine for buttons. I use pine pellet bedding because it absorbs more moisture and makes for less cleaning.

#10 ~ Would they be more comfortable positioned infront of a window, or in corner with artificial lighting?

Putting them in direct sunlight would be okay if you watch them. They could get overheated very easily if they have no escape from the sun. A well-lit room, not in direct sun, would work good. Heck, mine are in a 10x10 room that has 1 2'x2' window and they don't mind.

#11 ~ How should I furnish their cage (nesting places, plants, sticks and twigs, hidey holes, etc)?

Surely, the more 'natural' you can make it the better. They like to have places to hide, so critter hides like you'd use for hamsters, guinea pigs, etc, would work very well for them. Just remember that they don't perch so anything you'd have for them would need to be at ground level. I've seen youtube videos that showed large landscaped tanks that had 'ramps', the buttons did use those. Mine have never gotten off the floor unless they were scared and flew.​

(quailladyoffortmyers > Thank-you for you help!
smile.png
)

(shelleyd > I actually didn't see the stickies at first, but I looked after you pointed them out and I feel like a total dork know!
tongue.png
There are even specific articals on buttons, lol. Thanks again!)

Back
Top Bottom