Thinking about a rooster for the hens...

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
Is there certain breeds that are more docile than others? I have younger siblings between the ages of 7 and 12 and a mean rooster probably wouldn't be the best.
wink.png
Just lost a hen to a hawk and am looking for some extra eyes. Thanks!
smile.png

Because chickens are individuals it's hard to tell which roosters will be docile and which will be human aggressive.

I love brahma roos. Big, gentle giants, but even with brahmas there's the chance of getting a bad apple.

I think its one part genetics and one part how they are raised. I have one full Silkie roo that is very docile but doesnt like to be handled . I have one 3/4 Silkie 1/4 Cochin and he is human aggressive. Im not sure how he was raised. Im guessing he wasnt handled much as chick could have been handled roughly????Not sure. I have to show him who's boss once in a while. I will probably never break him from it and if I can find another male that will work for my breeding program he will probably be rehomed. He's beautiful Roo though.

I would not get a roo unless you wanted to have your eggs fertilized. They are often temperamental regardless of breed. They are also questionable protectors at best. I just lost my best girl this week to a hawk. She was the roo's favorite girl as well, so he was right next to her when she was killed, no doubt. He was useless.

If you still want to get a roo, you are going to need to try some out. It sometimes takes a couple tries before you get a good one.

Good luck.

if your kids are anything like mine.. they play with the chickens all the time.. get a young roo, let the kids play with him as he grows... my roosters see my 7 n 3 yr olds coming and head the other way.... never had a problem with a roo.. the flock is happier with a roo.... go for it,, you'll be glad you did.....

I love having a rooster with my hens. I have a Leghorn rooster. He is sweet, and my husband and I just love watching him strut across the yard. He is very social and friendly. He also keeps his girls in line. My Welsummer hens were picking terribly on my Orpington hens. As soon as Larry the Leghorn got in there, we had zero problems. I have a rooster in each of my four of my coops. As far as breeds, I don't know! The best rooster I've had was a Brahma. So sweet.

Orpington are one of the more docile breeds and you have many Buff Orpington already so that would be a good breed to give a try at. That way if your guy works out you can raise the Buff Orp breed from eggs. I agree it's one part breed, one part individual rooster and another part character of each family member. Roosters are like dogs in that it takes certain character of people to raise them well.

My roosters are dilligent bodygaurds to my hens! I have mixed breed roosters however so I can't quite suggest a breed. But I will agree that it is a lot about how they are raised. One of my roosters was never a friendly one and was going to get sold until he decided to play with our pigs. The chickens were in there all the time but I guess that day the pig had an attitude and went crazy on him. The back of his head was ripped open to the skull! But I snatched him up and nursed him back to health. Now he's my buddy and I can tell he did quite the job of baby making because many of my young chickens look like him
smile.png
And he keeps a watchful eye over everyone, very good at sounding alarm. I will say however that the barred rock mix roosters I get tend to be a bit meaner to the hens. That's why I don't keep them around. But that's just my experience.

I have had mellow roosters and mean roosters. I don't let them out with children around. They're animals and you never know when the wheels can fly off. I had a Buff Cohin that is supposed to be calm, I introduced him to a load of #6 bird shot, a Barred Rock who could go either way, depending on what side of the roost he jumped off, died from last summer's heat. I now have a Rhode Island Red who started agressive but has since turned docile, but I will not ever trust him around children!

Back
Top Bottom