• Good idea.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Bad idea.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
Hi duck folks. OldGal is thinking about adding ducks to our little family, and we have a few questions:

1. Can they live with the chickens?
  2. Do they really need a pond? (We raised one from a duckling in a studio apartment once. Taught it to swim in the bathtub. (Long story.)
  3. How much do duck eggs sell for? We've been told $1 apiece around here.
  4. What breed lays best?
  5. Can they eat chicken food or would we need to feed them separately?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, we don't have a rooster if that makes any difference. Not interested in them as meat, just eggs.

Last edited:
I'm only a little help as i can only answer #2 ..

no they do not need a pond, many including myself use kiddy pools, bottoms of old sandboxes and of coarse any low laying land after a good rainfall brings forth a great opportunity
ya.gif

As of yet i do not sell my eggs BUT a co-worker of my mother said, when she buys ducks eggs she pays 4$ per half dozen! she said they are rather pricey... i would bet it depends on your area to.. ducks eggs are not that common where i am at, so clearly a premium is paid.

Yes, they can live with chickens, but males duck might try to breed your hens, so it isnt the BEST idea...

no, i use a kiddie pool. they just need enough water to dunk their whole head into really.

for fertile, it depends on the breed, but for eating, usually $4-$5 a dozen.

top three best laying breeds are

Khaki Campbells, runners, and welsh harlequins. welsh harlequins and campbells lay about the same, but welsh harleqiins are more social and scares wouldnt disturb their laying as it might campbells...

i feed mine chicken food and they semm 100% fine!

Hi duck folks. OldGal is thinking about adding ducks to our little family, and we have a few questions:

1. Can they live with the chickens?Yes they can. Just watch that drakes don't mate your hens
  2. Do they really need a pond? (We raised one from a duckling in a studio apartment once. Taught it to swim in the bathtub. (Long story.)No. I've used kiddie pools before with no issues
  3. How much do duck eggs sell for? We've been told $1 apiece around here.Eating eggs go for about 3 - 5 a dozen. Hatching eggs are about 1 - 1.50
  4. What breed lays best? Runners and Khaki Campbells are a good choice
  5. Can they eat chicken food or would we need to feed them separately? They can eat layer feed

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, we don't have a rooster if that makes any difference. Not interested in them as meat, just eggs.

I have 2 pekin ducks myself. I feed them chicken layer and a bit of corn every day, plus what treats the chickens get. They love any kind of greens scraps.

Ducks do not need a pond, but from personal experience my ducks are happier with one.

My mixed flock coexists just fine, but I only house my chickens. The ducks have a converted outhouse as their house if they choose to use it (they dont). They prefer to be outside with the grass, water or snow under their giant silly duck feet. In fact, the only time they use their house is when it is in the single digits AND windy.

Ducks are fun, lots.

Eta: I sell a full dozen for $4. Lots of interest in them from people with chicken egg sensitivities and allergies.

Last edited:
Just a note females can be very loud. If noise is an issue I would suggest Muscovies.

Just a note females can be very loud. If noise is an issue I would suggest Muscovies.
Lol, I was just coming back to add that females can be loud, and, unlike chickens, they will party all night. My girls are my first alert to anything being out of the ordinary in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom