Thinking about adding turkeys to my flock

Brooding cage
106_0498.jpg

Turkey pens
106_0494.jpg

106_0496.jpg

Soon to be added one more inside pen and 3 outside runs.

Turkeys are more people friendly than chickens IMO. They do prefer to roost in the same spot on the roost board every night. I have better luck building a brush pile for them to nest under that getting them to use a nest box.

Right now they have 10' x 20' pens but I open the doors and let them use the entire backyard during the day.

We are thinking of getting just one turkey to raise for Thankgiving (dh thinks that would be fun). Can you get just one turkey? Would you need a seperate pen for it or could it live with our chickens? How long do you keep a turkey before you can eat it? Boy, that sounds awful!!
hu.gif

Thanks Sonja

i have 2 turkey pooults they are in the coop with my chickens....they seem to be doing good...but are they dumb, if a chicken pushes them out of the food they walk away....but i do see them eat so i am not too worried. i have raised turkeys before and found them to be great company...they follow you where ever you go, and stay right by your side.....funny cute and dumb but got to love them.....owner of ass.silkies,polish,turkeys and peacocks and ri reds.....all getting big....ronnie:eek:

Back
Top Bottom