Thinking about buying one of these

CaGoatLady

Songster
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Auburn, CA
I've only got one rooster and two hen chicks. I'm very mechanically inclined, but not strong. I've looked at all the photos and plans for coops, but I'd have to include the cost of buying all of the tools it would take to build my own, into the price of the coop. So, I've been looking for ready-made or diy coops online and found this one. I can get this one for about $370, with a nice cover, but no wire panel on the floor of the run. Then, there's another website that sells the same thing, but they throw in the optional floor panel and it would be $499, so I was thinking I'd buy the cheaper one and put my own wire on the bottom.
My question is...has anybody bought one of these or seen one in person? I have a bit of time before my chicks are ready to be in with the rooster, but winter is coming and I need it by then. What would you do?
Here is the link to the cheaper one:
http://www.wholesalechickencoops.com/hss09 chicken coop.html

Last edited:
It says that the coop is only 4 sf plus 2.1 sf for the nesting boxes. For 3 chickens, you need at least 4 sf per bird. You need 10 sf per bird for the run. So it would be to small, they might be pecking at each other. Other then that, its not bad looking, but you could build something for far less money.

It is a nice looking coop but you could not fit more birds later. If you made your own you could keep the tools for your next building project! Craiglist sometimes has coops and used coops for sale.

Those seem like a heck of a lot of money to me. How about finding a local handyman or maybe 4H or FFA member that could custom build to that or your own design for less money. That way you can get just what you want and support your local economy by keeping your dollars in your community

Quote:
I totally agree with dbcooper. I suggest you look though some coop designs and find someone that can do it for less. Check with your local highschool for a building program. That's a nice coop, but it's not worth that kind of change. Also, you'll be limited on space real quick. IMO...Their 3-5 estimate would be more acurate for bantys than standard size chickens.

Last edited:
That looks similar to the coops sold under the brand name "Ware." They seem to have some significant issues:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=356228

Have you thought about hiring a local builder to build you exactly what you want, using the materials you want? This is what I just did, and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. I have built my own smaller coops, but this time I wanted something shed sized, which was bigger than I felt I could handle on my own. I don't use power tools other than an electric screwdriver.

Price wise, the custom coop I ended up with was no more expensive than a Tuff Shed with similar options (windows, vents and radiant roof sheathing). My cusotm coop has far superior materials and quality workmanship than one of those Tuff Sheds, and it has exactly the features I want. I love it! And I was able to economize a bit by doing the finish out myself (insulation, hardware cloth, etc.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

I found my builder by asking around on our local poultry meetup group.

p.s. Notice how prefab coops never have proper ventilation?!

Last edited:
Quote:
That is what I was looking at on the provided link. Not enough ventilation. I agree with trying to find someone local to build you what you want or trying to build it yourself. If you decide to take the plunge and build your own, I highly recommend the Coops for Dummies book. Lots of basic carpentry skills info and plans to build different coops. I also wonder what kind of wood they use in those coops in the link. It kinda looks like cedar to me (not good for chickens) but it just might be the pictures.

ETA - I don't know about these particular coops but IMO prefabs usually are not as good as something you built or have built.

Last edited:
I'm new here. I only have 10 RIR's . My coop is 8x10. I still have room for more. What I'm getting at is bigger is always better. I also have noticed or atleast in my mind think the chicks really like their home.

gryeyes, thanks for the links; I saw the ones on CL, but I need a run too. That last link, with the guy who built one of your coops, looks good; do you know what kind of pricing he has? I don't have much to spend.

Back
Top Bottom