Thinking about buying one of these

Hi CaGoatLady
I thought along the line that you did, paid $450 for a coop kit from a similar company and absolutley hate it - it's small, no insulation and I think, despite putting it together correctly (which was easy like they claim) I worry a stiff breeze will blow it away...
hit.gif

I am stuck with it throught the winter as I cannot afford a replacement, and since it is put together, I cannot return it. I already bought a book and plans and am building my own from scratch this spring - I have a handyman I can go to for help if needed. I would just hate for you to spend $$ on something that pictures make look awesome, but in reality is not really accurate...

Agreed with most of the posts here.
old.gif

We had bought one very like the one you chose when we first decided on getting chickens,
If I had found BYC first,.. we never would have bought it...
We had to modify it for better ventilation,..strengthen some of the corners,.. and it was supposed to hold 6 chickens,.. but once we began learning we realized that it really is only good for 4 if they are bantams or 3 big, fat Barnevelders,.. and it really doesn't take into consideration,.. Chicken Math,.. we had more chickens than it could hold before it was actually put together!

We built one ourselves and are much happier,.. and so are the chickens.
It was not a total loss though,.. it's used now for broody hens,. new chickens,. ones that need to be separated for whatever reason,.. but I really believe that you would be sorry you bought it or I would even post this. But I'm sure you will do what's best,. you are asking the right people on BYC,.. wish I had when we got started!
thumbsup.gif

ive just ordered that house/run in the first link yesterday (but must admit they are much cheaper here...€135) wish i hadnt now after reading the comments. i got it for my 6 chabos (japanese bantams)
the post above this one says its only good for 4 bantams????????????? so its no good to me then
sad.png

Last edited:
No, goldencomet, I haven't bought it yet because of the price vs quality issue. Since I have time, I'm going to look elsewhere and have somebody help me build a nice coop.

Back
Top Bottom