thinking about ducks, and i have a few questions. any tips?

I need an opinion. or 50. ducks or not?

• yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • maybe so

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • other (reply below)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
my brother says our grandfather told him once that the ducks would grab the chickens and bring them underwater until they stopped moving.. i don't want ducks anymore :(

my brother says our grandfather told him once that the ducks would grab the chickens and bring them underwater until they stopped moving.. i don't want ducks anymore :(
The males mate with female ducks that way. They hold them under water while biting the back of their head and hold her head under and lift up her head alternating for like 10 seconds. Males are quite dominant and yes, do stand on chickens male or female, if the chicken can't escape they can kill them.

Just tonight i had a rooster tied up to the house and left for a few minutes, and had to run back outside because the rooster was screaming and being crushed. The ducks have their own pecking order, and pick on either the hens or the lower males.

The males mate with female ducks that way. They hold them under water while biting the back of their head and hold her head under and lift up her head alternating for like 10 seconds. Males are quite dominant and yes, do stand on chickens male or female, if the chicken can't escape they can kill them.

Just tonight i had a rooster tied up to the house and left for a few minutes, and had to run back outside because the rooster was screaming and being crushed. The ducks have their own pecking order, and pick on either the hens or the lower males.
i don't have roosters, but i don't want my chickens drowning if i can help it :(

i don't have roosters, but i don't want my chickens drowning if i can help it :(
Then dont have a deep watering hole around. Chickens dont exactly hang around in places with deep water so i dont know how a duck evem caught a chicken near water. Must have been a big tub.

and how do i help their mess? can i?
With 5 acres mess isnt really a problem. Depends where they sleep and if they hang out indoors. Wherever they sleep at night may get the most of the mess.

i also am wondering if you can breed chickens and ducks..
I tried a rooster and a duck, and it did not work, all of the eggs were not fertilizsed evem though the rooter and duck were copulating.

I have not tried a duck and a chicken, that would be a challenge because the duck can kill a hen or damage her vent the way they mate.

I tried a rooster and a duck, and it did not work, all of the eggs were not fertilizsed evem though the rooter and duck were copulating.

I have not tried a duck and a chicken, that would be a challenge because the duck can kill a hen or damage her vent the way they mate.
ooh... yeah, no. no drakes, no roosters.

Back
Top Bottom