Thinking about free ranging

Photokitty

Chirping
Jul 6, 2017
Marlinton, West Virginia
It has been pointed out by a few people that I have a lot of birds in one run. This I know, but I would love to expand the run but can't do it until the spring.

I am considering letting the chickens free-range. They all know coop as home.
I have a few concerns though:

1. I have hawks, eagles and turkey buzzards. They have plenty of trees around their coop for covering, it is a line of trees between my yard and the cow pasture (ours as well).
2. Will they poop everywhere?? My husband seems to think they will poop on the car, but it is pretty far from the coop (about 100 yards). He also doesn't want them pooping on the porch, again the porch is about 10 yards away.
3. I have some... interesting roosters, not roos, but I have sebrights that roost in trees, which is why I have bird netting. It wasn't because of overhead attacks, it was because they want to roost HIGH, they roost in the top gable of coop.
4. I have kids, I cannot be out there all the time with them... can I let them out for a little while?

I have 50ish chickens and 8 ducks (who wouldn't be leaving the coop) in a run. The ducks I think would like a break from the chickens once and a while. Again everyone is getting upgrades in the spring.

Every time you let your chickens outside to free range they are in danger of a predator attack of some kind. It's just how it is. Cover is good and will help them avoid it, but it's a very real possibility.

Yes, they will poop everywhere. lol Mine have never pooped on my car, but everywhere else. Your porch is probably the first place they'll go! ;)

I like to let mine out an hour or two before they'd go in to roost. It keeps them closer to home and helps them sort out how it works. From there you can let them out earlier. It's nice to stay out with them, but usually not practical. Again - the risk you take is predator attacks, but even being there doesn't always stop those.

Yes, they will poop everywhere they go. I'm guessing there is not a lot of interesting stuff on the porch for a chicken, so it won't be much. Move the cat food.

I let mine roam in the evenings before bedtime. Works well. Delays supper, but the kids are grown. Make it a family activity? The kids may love chicken TV. With dark coming earlier, try it. Could also lock the kids in a closet, but I don't recommend that. :)

Hey Photokitty

If I can, just a tip .. chickens like routine so if you are going to let them out occasionally, try and mix up the time you let them out.

I work from home and used to let my gals out for supervised free range every afternoon at 4PM. They started ‘appealing’ to be let out from 3PM onwards, so I let them go unsupervised for an hour and then I joined them at 4PM.

Their ‘appealing’ then started happening at 2PM and they then had 2 hours unsupervised before I joined them .. see where this is going? They ended up all day free ranging :rolleyes:

So, yeah, if you can and your chickens are demanding like mine and if you have neighbours, mix up the times so that they do not get into a routine. If you do not have neighbours and you are not trying to concentrate on work, all good ;)

As I type, I am 15mins late for their 4PM meal worm and Crystal is letting me know that she is not happy! :p

Fifty chickens free ranging at the same time? You must post a video!!

It sounds like a fantastical zoo!!! :p

If there's any doubt about the run size, this is probably the best option for you until spring, but it's my guess loss will be inevitable. Some folks see loss as unfortunate but worth the risk. Chickens love roaming and digging, and I feel they're healthier for it.

So let them birdies out! But fifty frequent poopings a happy husband does not make. Mine can barely handle six.

I have been 100% free ranging for the last 15 years. If you are set up correctly it can be mostly safe. There's always a risk, it just depends on how you feel about the risks.

I have lost a few birds here and there over the years but nothing devastating. I have close to 100 chickens. Most don't travel far from the shed, others, especially the younger birds will follow the tree line, and stick to cover, going up to 300 feet away. There is always at least one rooster accompanying a group of hens as a lookout.

We keep the surrounding fields cut down for good line of sight. There's trees and buildings for cover. Mine also have goats and donkeys in the pastures. The donkeys work well for keeping predators away too.

I hardly ever see any poop, it's mostly in the lawn or field. I see zero behavioral problems with free ranging. My chickens are mentally and physically better off. In the warmer months my feed bill is cut in half.

You do need to be proactive if a predator does come around. They need to be removed permanently. I have lost a few to coyote, and a fox. A hawk killed a duck one year but couldn't take it. Otherwise I don't have problems with them.

If you decide to free range you need to be willing to lose birds, especially as you figure out what works and what type of critters you need to worry about. If you start, it can be hard to pen them back up, often you will see more aggression as they know what they are being denied.
I have about 10 Roos and 35 hens... Today I just opened the door and figured good luck. They are having more then enough fun and the ducks found the swimming pool. They may be harder to corral today but I figured they needed some exercise since they used to be free ranging, I felt bad that I had them in a run. They are used to coming in at night.

We eliminate all threats at this house. We have other animals so we have a zero tolerance policy. Hawks I can do nothing about but they have cover, if they get taken its sad but the benefit outweighs the risk. They are about to be confined for winter better let them eat down my long grass while they can.

I have a little bit of the same situation as you, minus the hawks. I started realizing I was providing mostly food related boredom busters in the pen, and making the hens fat (and into beggars). So now they free range about 90 minutes before bed. It's fun watching them get exercise by running across the yard. I poop scoop every night (takes about 2 mins) as our dogs love to eat chicken poop and it gives them a stomachache.

Back
Top Bottom