Thinking about free ranging

I let mine free-range daily. Haven't lost one to any flying predators, or any predators for that matter. I think the freedom that they get is kind of "worth the risk". They get better exercise, fresh ground, more bugs and grass and sunshine. They're just happier all around!

With years of having chickens, I have tried free range, but for me it did not work. I was a nervous wreck the whole time and when dark started to creep up, I ended up having to coral my 8 ducks and thirty something chickens. The ducks were not that hard as most of them are flightless large pekins, and the others sinply followed them. Now, the chickens, were another story. My rooster, Maple, (we have a love hate relationship lol) obliged me in taking about five or six of the hens inside with him. The hardest were my other two roosters. They are constantly picked on by other chickens, there names are Clucksworth (hint: my name on BYC), and Mr. Ugly (we had a Mrs. Ugly but she unfortunately passed away this past winter.). Needless to say, I will never again allow my chickens to free range.

But moving on to your questions, (sorry if I got a little sidetracked on my disaster.). They will poop in the uard just as they would in the run. I have had family members who have had troubles with their chickens flying in their cars, and my uncle had a hen who flew in an open window and made a nest in his backseat! And I agree with previous posts about them high tailing it to the porch! They should be fine otherwise.

Why didn't they go in on their own accord?

I have a covered run, lots of hawk predation. I let my birds out sometimes, when I can be around to listen for warning calls. They may be out all day for multiple days in a row, or be stuck in run for same. Other times, they get out for part of the day. It all depends on weather, and hawk presence. 30 +/- birds = a lot of poop. (add dog poop to the mix). On a regular basis, I go around the yard with a pooper scooper. Mainly scoop dog poo, but get the chicken poo that is in the areas where human foot traffic is likely to be. Poo gets tossed into the weedy growth around the yard. I do believe that the dog poo is a deterrent to coons and such. A power blast with the hose is also helpful at washing the poo into the grass. My hubby is a bit more critical regarding poo issues, so keeping things cleaned up a bit helps keep us both happy. If birds come on deck, I keep the hose handy, or a bucket of water. A quick cascade of water down over the steps reminds the birds just why they don't want to be on the deck!

Just an update. My husband, the one worrying about poop, knew I had been letting the chickens out and then spending an hour putting them back up in the middle of the day. On Saturday we were going to bust a lot of firewood in the yard. He came in and asked if I could let all the chickens out and tether the goats. I raised my eyebrows so I opened all the coops, even the 12 week old chicks and put out the three goats. I asked why and he said he just wanted to see them when he looked around. Erm... Ok. He was a wreck for the first hour but at 4.30 I had to go to town and I worried about them going in. I got back at 5.30 and everyone was in their respective coops and he had put the goats up as well.

I just thought I would update you all!

Back
Top Bottom