Thinking about getting a mohawk, opinions and tips?

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
Ok where to start..
I've wanted to have a Mohawk since I was like 5... and never did it because of social norms and being scared of what it would look like. (plus I wasn't allowed) haha. I've wanted to have one off and on throughout the years but never took the dive.
I have recently been, hmm.. influenced by a popular UK singer who does her hair in a quiff. I am amazed by her confidence in doing it, and she gets a lot of praise and flack for it, but really it's a great thing. I love people that are different.
So, what I'm worried most about is the fact that I am a girl and have a round/oval-ish face, I don't want to look like a dork and not look good with it. I'm a skinny person, only like 130lbs. I have dark blonde hair, but back in the day I would dye it black, lol.
I think I should mention that I don't want to shave it down bald but leave 1-2'' short compared to the Mohawk, it would be like...5 or 6 inches tall. Technically it's a faux hawk, I suppose.
I am at the age where I'm more confidant with myself and have the leeway to do it (job and school allowing)

So, with that said can I get every one's opinions on it? I don't mind ones that disagree, just be thoughtful about the way you say it.
smile.png

Also, any girls on here done it before? I don't even know how to go about styling it...maybe I should figure that out too.

Thanks guys
smile.png

Do what you do with your do is what I say,
big_smile.png
oh and got2bglued hair glue, my youngest son has a mo-hawk + curly hair, glue works all day, if not, he'd have a puff-hawk. I'm pro expressing yourself.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much
smile.png

Does that "hair glue" make his hair hard/crunchy? It doesn't flake or anything does it? Sorry, I'm clueless!
wink.png

About a year ago my DD shaved her head. She found it to a rather interesting thing to do. Hair will grow back out if you don't like it, so if this is something that you have wanted to do for a long time, I say go for it. Do it while you are still young, then you will know the answer. I dare you.

You should look for a salon that specializes in dramatic hair to get it cut, not all hair dressers can do the type of cut you are looking for. They should also have the type of hair glue that you will need to get your hair to stand up in a mohawk like you have described.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of finding a place that specialized in"crazy" hairdos.
I was thinking the same thing, if I didn't like it, it would grow out....hah not that it would matter too much, I wear hats a lot too.

Id say if youre comfortable with yourself doing it and its what you want, go for it. I would love to wear one, but my ears are huge and long hair makes me feel feminine. So i myself will stick with the loud colors, but i always like seeing mohawks. My personal opinion is not to go for a tri hawk. Ive never really been a huge fan of the tri hawk only bcause only certain girls can pull it off ( in my opinion) But the mohawk sounds awesome.

I agree with the got2b line. Its like actual glue. just make sure its put on efficiently and allowed to dry or set. I also like the idea of keeping the rest of the hair short, where its obvious that you meant there to be a short amount of hair there.

Man, just go for it. It's just hair after all and you can grow it back any time you decide. I mean, it's not like a tattoo or face piercings, y'know. Not that there's anything at all wrong with either of those, just that they're more permanent and require a little more serious thought before going ahead with them. With hair, what's the big deal? I've never understood peoples' reluctance to experiment and/or their horror with the more unusual styles that some people have.

I'm a 36 year old female and I got a mohawk when I was 15. I had really long hair and I got it chopped right back and buzzed in close to my head at the sides. I had a 6" high spike and a long bleach blond rats tail down the back. My mum threw a total strop and chucked me out of the house for a week, and made me go to school with a hat on till it grew in a bit. Then I got a skinhead for a while and the fuss was the same. My mum thought I was a lesbian and my dad thought I was just being an a**hole purely to annoy them. But I genuinely just fancied experimenting a bit.

When I was 30 or so I was doing a lot of redecorating and refurbishing in my flat and I got fed up with having plaster dust in my hair all the time, and one night I buzzed it all off on a whim again when I found my old hair clippers in a box under my bed. I think it was a no. 3 I used. If i was a guy I'd keep a skinhead all the time, it's just so much easier and time saving than all the washing and drying and styling that goes with long hair...

I had a mohawk in my late teens-early twenties, and like you, have a roundish face. I recommend going with a wide mohawk, that covers most of the top of your head. This will slim round features. A narrow mohawk will only accentuate round features. Also, get yourself a "teasing" comb.
VO-224208-2T.jpg

While holding a clump of hair up with one hand, shimmy this comb from top to bottom, using the bit with the uneven tines. You can get your hair to stand up pretty easily with this method. Spray with hair spray and then blast it with a blow dryer. That will keep it in place very well! If your hair is bleached (or bleached and dyed) it will work even better. Mind you, this is because bleaching damages the hair, causing it to be brittle. No long term damage as long as you are careful not to damage your scalp. As others have said, hair will grow back. I'd also go as short as you are comfortable on the sides. Hair grows back quickly, and this cut requires more maintenance than most.
Funny thing is, now that I'm in my 40's, I can't stand to have styling products in my hair! I like it soft, soft, soft. I do keep it short though. Ever since the mohawk days, I haven't been able to stand having hair growing long around my ears. Feels unkempt.
Good luck with your endeavor!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom