Thinking about getting a mohawk, opinions and tips?

haha, I think I can do that.
smile.png

Here is some inspiration.... http://www.hair.becomegorgeous.com/shor … -2233.html

I love those styles--they're so edgy, fun, and more have more styling versatility than the typical mohawk. Also, more hair to color and it smooths the transition to the hardcore mohawk if you still wish to go that route.

Ahhh, to be young again and have straight hair that won't frizz, even with a ton of product on it. Have fun. Post a pic!​

Some of the folks here warning against mohawks have fair points. Having had one, I know. You have to have a very strong sense of "who" you are, because others will assign all sorts of attributes to you. People will judge you... people you often would not expect. Sometimes, even people who are fine with the mohawk may assusme you to be someone you're not. I had people get mad at me after I told them I didn't smoke...
"Can you give me a cigarette?"
"Sorry, I don't smoke."
"Yeah, right! Cheap %#&@*! Can't spare a *#@&* cigarette!"
"No, really, I don't!"
"*%#$ off!"
hu.gif

It's not fair or right, but it still happens. I had security in stores follow me while shopping (I never stole); a teacher who accused me of cheating (I didn't). In hindsight, I'm sure I scared away many folks who shared my other interests, such as animals and nature, but were too intimidated to get to know me. At the time, I thought that people who judge based only appearances weren't the sort of people I wanted to hang out with. On the one hand, that is a very valid argument. On the other, people are fallible, and have a hard time being fair when they are, rightly or wrongly, afraid.

La Roux reminds me a lot of the New Wave bands from the 80's. I've had various New Wave haircuts through the years and they didn't seem to cause nearly as many issues as the hawk. Perhaps if you Google "New Wave Hair" images, you might get a few ideas that are "creatively different", but not as threatening to people. Here are a couple of bands from that time who had hair that you might find interesting.
smile.png

The Thompson Twins
thompson_twins_14.jpg

Hear is a video of Alison Moyet during her "Yazoo" days. (Love her voice..couldn't just post a picture!
tongue.png
The audio for the synthesizer is bad in this video, but her voice is great as ever.)

Last edited:
Quote:
My DD did the same thing. She had got what was supposed to be an edgy hair cut, and dyed her bangs neon pink. I liked that. I would have liked it better if the hair dresser had done the cut more like the picture though. But after awhile of caring for her hair (The pink dye washes out very quickly), she decided to have me trim up the back of her hair. I shouldn't be allowed near a pair of electric clippers after I have had a couple of glasses of wine. She wasn't as thrilled with the back of her hair the next day. So she popped down to a hair salon and had them shave her head. I do know I could have done that for her even with a few glasses of wine under my belt.

This all went down last summer. She was heading out to visit her in-Laws in the Netherlands, and then she was on to South Africa for an exchange class, with the university. As far as I can tell she was able to carry it off with grace. Her hair is still rather short these days. It is a lot like my hair and grows rather slowly, but her hair is very healthy and natural now. This is the second time she has had very short hair. She had it done right after high-school. Then it was because she wanted her hair to be platinum blond. It takes a lot to bleach her hair out, and had damaged it very badly that time.

If things get to bad for you Riocotesei you would be welcome to come and stay here in the Seattle area while your hair grows out.

PS I love the Polish and Houdan pictures CAG

right before i shaved my head, my hair was bleach blonde and purple (faded into pink) kinda like a scene hair style everyone called me cottoncandy head lol and cut all the pink off and made it into a pixie but the bleach was still there so i decided to just shave it. i do wear a bandana everywhere i go now but its almost to an inch 2 months natural hair on the 26th. i say o.p do what you want with your hair. its going to grow back in time. do i regret shaving my head? no i dont my hair is healthier than ever now. look at the big picture its your hair do with it what you want, if your not doing it for other people you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I had one while in high school.Recently decided to shave my hair for the summer and was going to do a mohawk at first for fun then shave it.It was rather hard to do all by myself so I had to just shave it all.Next summer I will enlist some help.It is fun and the hair does grow back.I think only eyebrows won't grow in well once you shave them.I did have to tolerate a few *hey dad* comments from the kids,but hey I am afterall the BOSS,lol.

Give it a try and if you hate it just cover your head till it all grows in.

Quote:
I dont know about that. I always thought girls that had wild hair stiles an colors where hot an still do.... But then again I might have fit in to the "wrong kind of guy" statement.

Me in 8th or 9th grade I think.
l_8020ab4fac9a3a72d9e5dbd12a20802d.jpg

I dont have any good ones online from later in school an collage. I was in a school of 600 an every one new who I was. The people with the most personal stile usually the ones that people across different clicks have the easiest time approaching an getting to know so they end up with the most friends.

Thanks for everyone's replies and help I'm really excited about doing this.
If I were to take a picture of some peoples hairstyles with me and tell the hair cutter that I want it to look like this *shows pictures*
would they be able to do it right?

Lol, one time I went to one, and showed them a picture of Avril Lavigne's hair and told them I wanted it like that and the lady looked at me and was like "you don't have hair like hers" I was like "err yeah that's why I want the hair cut" I had LONG blonde hair...shouldn't that have worked out? Anyways she was really rude and all she did was strip my hair....which hurt and didn't do anything....boo.

A little off topic.. I've always been a loner type person. I never "fit in" but I always could get along with all types of people, it didn't matter what click they were in.
Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to shave my head but..hahaha I'll wait till I'm married and my husband already loves me.
wink.png

Ok.. so The girl from La Roux..Elly, said she puts wax in here hair? What type of wax is she using? Does it keep it from being hard and flaky? Cause her hair is still "fluffy" and malleable, like she messes with it when she's singing or whenever she feels that it's getting messy. Does that make sense? I can provide youtube vids if needed.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom