Thinking about getting a rooster

smalltowngal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but we're thinking about getting a rooster. Right now, we have four golden comments in an 8 x 10 coop and know we'll be adding a couple chickens for the next couple years. I thought having a rooster might help when adding the new girls. We're looking at adopting a 1 year old Americauna who is suppose to be fairly docile. I know we need to ask the owners if he crows all day. Are there any other things we should look out for? Is only having four hens going to cause a problem. The hens should start laying in a couple weeks and I think we might get 3 Americaunas or Easter Eggers this fall. Basically, is there anything we need to know before getting a rooster?

Well first off, I hope you get a rooster, mine is the best.
smile.png
Having one rooster and 4 hens might be a recipe for over breeding, but it depends, I know people that have 2 hens and 1 roo and the hens are perfectly fine. I think it's a good idea to get more this fall. And one other thing, for the fist month or so with your new roo, carry a big stick-just in case.
smile.png
If you get him from a breeder, I would ask about the temperament of the father too.
Hope it all goes well with your decision.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom