1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking about getting backyard chickens in Spring.. open for advice!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paula3, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Paula3

Paula3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Hello! My family and I are thinking of getting two or three hens this Spring so we can have our own eggs and compost additive. We are also starting a garden and hope the chickens will help keep pests down. We live in the city of Tampa and I have just reviewed the regulations and need to measure the lot sizes first. We are planning on building our own coop and letting them roam freely when we are outside with them (fenced yard). Anyone in Tampa FL have any advice, know a place we can get babies this Spring, tips and pointers? Thanks!!!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

3. Paula3

Paula3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks! We have thought about moving to Washington or Oregon.. a number of times, but I just can't seem to get over what I hear about the weather up there. It's so beautiful there, but I thrive on sunshine (hence me living in Florida)!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome!!! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Read everything you can on this forum. Especially the disease and predator threads. THat will help you avoid a lot of heartache...just realize that not all chickens have such problems.....just the ones that post do. LOL

7. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC! Make sure you can have them first. Its heartbreaking from what I hear to have to lose them when the city/township/county says you are in violation of ordinances/codes... Thats my first line of advice.

10. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    :barnieHello and welcome from a fellow BYCer in Northern Ireland! [​IMG]

If you have neighbours, you may want to keep away from roosters - although the added advantage is being able to raise chicks! We have 4 roosters and I'm used to the dawn chorus and I kinda like it. I'm sure my neighbours would say otherwise though![​IMG]:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by