thinking about getting doves

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazines/bird-talk/2010-december/doves.aspx
Hope this helps!
I, myself really love doves!
Good luck!
jumpy.gif

I have three doves and two pigeons, which are technically doves too, which means I have five all together. Why do I keep doves? I keep them because overall they are extremely cool creatures. They aren't obnoxiously loud (especially when compared to roosters, dogs and parrots), they are easy to care for, they can be extremely tame (especially ring-necked doves & pigeons), they're intelligent, and they make great company. The only dove I have that lays eggs is my female diamond dove and I am not particularly interested in making tiny omelets. Eating the eggs of any of my birds (even when I have chickens) isn't really that appealing to me, I got into birds for my love of them as animals and not really for their usefulness to me. From a utility standpoint people eat pigeons and doves too I'd imagine, they don't lay eggs often enough to be a substitute for chickens and if they somehow managed to lay eggs daily they'd die from a calcium deficiency.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for softbills so I'm biased.

Best,
Eric

I eat my rock doves n eggs, that are not what i want them to be. i won't sell any birds, that i didn't like, or to those who would abuse them.. better they die quick painless n be respected enough not to be wasted/just discarded. i even use blood bone n feathers, at very least be fertilizer, then better uses.. i pet n love on them till they nod off, then decapitate them.. only known completely stress free way they can pass on. eggs can be hard boiled, pickled, or eaten as fresh n warm still.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom