Thinking about getting geese, but have a couple ?s

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
We were going to get some Guineas but after hearing how noisy they are, we changed our minds. Now I am thinking about geese. We'd like them as sort of an alarm/guard animals to "protect" our chickens. I'd like to get a pair. I just have a couple questions first.

Do geese need water like ducks do? If so, would a kiddy pool suffice, or do we need to put in a permanent body of water?

My husband is iffy on getting them b/c he says they are mean. Are they always mean? If we raise them from babies, would that stop them from being mean to us?

Can goslings be raised with chicks? Would they sleep in the chicken coop once old enough, or do I need to build them their own coop?

Is there anything else that I REALLY need to know about raising geese before I get some? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

I have had geese for a little over a year and really like them. Geese and ducks don't need a body of water but they like a clean kiddie pool for bathing. They need to atleast be able to dunk their whole head in clean water to clear their nostrils and eyes. They can be a little noisy, but not a constant noise, that is what makes them good alarm birds.

If you get the right breed they are not necessarily mean especially if you had raise them. Pilgrim, Embeden, Roman and Sebastopol are some of the nicer breeds. African and Chinese don't have such a nice reputation. Any breed may defend their nest, but my hand raised haven't turned on me even during the nesting season. Even with the nicer breeds there is the chance they could get aggressive, so the advice generally is not to leave them with little kids unsupervised.

Goslings and geese are kind of messy to be in the same coop as the chickens. but they can free range with chickens ok.

When I had geese they just had a large size kiddie pool and seemed content. They do love clean water. I never had them with chickens but I had ducks. They assasinated a cheeky male duck who was always trying to rape the female but otherwise they all got along. I would think chickens would be the same. The ones I hatched myself were the sweetest snuggly things. They'd hug me with their necks over my shoulder. The ones I bought already grown, not as nice. They were no problem for me but they'd raise hell if anyone else came in their pen and the dominant male loved to pinch my boys. They are pretty loud but only when there's something to get ruffled about. Kind of like dogs that way.

scratch'n'peck :

I have had geese for a little over a year and really like them. Geese and ducks don't need a body of water but they like a clean kiddie pool for bathing. They need to atleast be able to dunk their whole head in clean water to clear their nostrils and eyes. They can be a little noisy, but not a constant noise, that is what makes them good alarm birds.

If you get the right breed they are not necessarily mean especially if you had raise them. Pilgrim, Embeden, Roman and Sebastopol are some of the nicer breeds. African and Chinese don't have such a nice reputation. Any breed may defend their nest, but my hand raised haven't turned on me even during the nesting season. Even with the nicer breeds there is the chance they could get aggressive, so the advice generally is not to leave them with little kids unsupervised.

Goslings and geese are kind of messy to be in the same coop as the chickens. but they can free range with chickens ok.

Good to know about the breeds, thanks!

We don't have small children, and don't anticipate any coming here any time soon. We are new to the area and don't know anyone, and all of our family are 7.5 hours away (and I doubt the ones with small kids will ever come visit us).

My chickens do free range. What would I need for the geese to sleep at night, or do they just find their own sleeping spots? We have coyotes around here, so I don't want them to be completely unprotected.​

Last edited:
Quote:
That is what we want. We live out in the middle of nowhere on a dead end road, so we want to be notified if someone or something is on our property. The dogs are pretty good at it, but they aren't outside all of the time.

Thanks!!

I have two Embden and two brown chinese. The Embdens are more vocal when someone comes around. They are also larger and more intimidating. I find that people are more afraid of the geese than the dogs. We have two large ponds on the property and they sleep in the water so we do not pen them up like the chickens. I suppose if they never had a pond that they would be happy with a kiddie pool but if I were you I would train them to go inside at night. Mine are sweet natured and only become aggressive during nesting time. They get along with the chickens aside from an occasional spat but I would not confine them together.

You said you were considering guineas but decided not to get them because of noise. Visit someone that has geese before you buy some. Then you can judge the noise level. They can be quite noisy at times.

I don't mind noise at all, I just don't want 24/7 LOUD noise, which I've heard from people on here, is what you get from guineas. One person said to take the loudest rooster crow, and guineas are louder than that all the time. We don't want THAT much noise. LOL We are surrounded by noisy cows, CRAZY loud cicadas, two 3-month-old puppies, 6 roosters at our neighbors, a Mockingbird that has taken residence in one of our bushes and likes to scream at the top of its lungs all day long lol, coyotes at night, etc. I actually love all of the noises out here, and geese would just add to it. I guess if they end up being too noisy we could always rehome them.

I'm completely new to all of this. We just moved from the suburbs to the country 7.5 hours away from our previous home 2 months ago, got my first chickens one month ago. I'm learning as I'm going. I have to take the advice from people on here, who I hope know what they are talking about.
wink.png

We have one pilgrim, 1 emden, and 2 africans. The pilgrim and emden are about 5 months old right now and they are really sweet the pilgrim is kinda stand offish at times but not in a mean way. The other day I picked up a big piece of plastic and was carrying it up the hill he came running up got in between me and the plastic and started attacking it. I think he thought it was out to get me it was quite funny. The africans are really to small to judge their personalities much Duncan the oldest about 2 months is really sweet and will cuddle between my legs when I squat down but he doesnt want to be picked up and loved on. The other one Winston is only about a month old. I dont see them as noisy at all. They sound off in the morning if I dont let them out early enough or if the big guinea is picking on them he is a lot smaller than the 2 older ones but is such a bully. Other than that they talk (honk whistle or other little noises but unless they are sounding off I dont hear them inside much. Now mine have not reached puberty yet LOL so my opinion may change. I have everyone in a communal cage at night and they roam during the day. I have had no issues with the geese and the chickens they actually just tend to ignore them or the little bantams will snuggle up under their wings. The one guinea which is 9 months old is a terror. My guinea's are louder than my geese but they dont sound off all the time. They sound off at some stupid stuff but it is not all the time. Psycho guinea is the worse once it starts it doesn't want to shut up but I seriously think there is something wrong with that bird. I keep waiting for it to go on a killing spree and all the other birds to say well he always seemed like a normal guinea. LOL

I had a Canada goose and 4 ducks, the goose was the friendliest and most gentle (even with my 3 yr old).

Now I have a Brown Chinese goose, 1 white Danish, and 1 tufted buff goose (as well as 6 ducks). The geese are all very curious and are less jumpy then the ducks when I pick them up. They are super great so far with children (who doesn't love baby ducklings and goslings). I am confident that they will be good around the children because of how much time we spend with them. I have no idea their future personalities but right now they all seem really curious and smart..and are the leaders of the bunch!

A newby to geese as well but I've researched and learned a lot hands on lately. I spend every day with a Roman Tufted and an Embden. Until they were two months I saw no aggression toward others but since then they will go after anyone who visits, especially children. They NEVER act aggressive with me. I'm the Mama :) I pick them up daily to make sure they stay attached. The Embden is a Pincher...she nibbles me but no aggression and very social. She comes to the door and knocks if I'm not outside with her. She is the most aggressive with other people. The Roman isn't aggressive with people but he isn't social with them either. He is aggressive with animals other than my two Great Pyrs that guard him. He doesn't pinch, he charges! Any dog, cat or new gosling....(just got 2 more one month old embdens-I think :) he charges and even though he's short he's stout and wide. Like a bulldozer in high gear. Neither are terribly noisy. If I'm talking, they are gabbing...if I go outside they announce me with loud honks...love them! The mess they make is worth it in my opinion...I have over an acre to free range, plus two ponds I created for them as well as a large pond that I hope they will eventually enjoy. Best wishes ...I've never regretted getting mine.
By the way...they are only 3 months old. Your 12 year old shouldn't have a problem, my grandchildren weren't an issue to them until they began to be nearer to their own height.;-) ..My son in law's Australian shepherd doesn't mess with them, ...the Roman hisses and charges him. Lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom