Thinking about getting quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by barred-rocks-rock, Jul 30, 2010.

1. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    After failed attempts to get more chickens, i thought about Bobwhite quail. They are smaller and require less space, they are great for eating, they ay lots of (tiny)eggs. And im pretty sure (please correct me if I'm wrong) that males dont make any crowing type noises (besides the whistling noise., so I could keep males and hatch eggs.

Thanks!

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    HAHA! good idea.We grow quail here and coturnix are good,much better than bobwhite considering for eating.coturnix will lay eggs at 6-8 weeks compared to a bobwhite 16-18 weeks.incubation is 18 days compared to bobwhites 23 days.you can dress out a coturnix at 6 weeks compared to a bobwhite at 14-16 weeks.

Texas a&m are a good variety of coturnix,also the golden coturnix.We have a standard coturnix,a golden coturnix,and a texas a&m coturnix hens and a standard coturnix roo.He does crow,not whistle.

We just hatched out our new chicks in our new homemade incubator.

Our first two youngsters

[​IMG]

3. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Actually bobwhites do crow, not like a rooster though, but it carries throught your property. That's where their name came from, the 'bobwhite' noise the males make.

4. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    bobwhite males can be very loud......and the sound does carry...
    bob whites can be mean also from what i have read....to each other...and they are easily scared.......

most states also require a Lisc to keep. raise, sell, ect bobwhites... and not for corturnix....

corturnix are quite ( my experience so far)

gmendoza is right..dress out at 8 weeks...lay at 6 weeks ect...

gmendoza:

the food in the feeder is too big for babies....

take the food and grind it up((coffee mill ect) until its almost like cornmeal for the first 2 weeks....

5. Quailfamah

Quailfamah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    central maine
    raise coturnix, but beware, there ADDICTING. if you start with 20 youll have 2000 in 6 months TRUST ME.

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by