Thinking about getting turkeys this spring

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I've been thinking about getting turkeys for a while but wrote the idea off because of how many trees I have. But, I've been wondering lately if its something I should try anyway. I have a feeling that if I were to free range them I'd have an impossible time getting them into a coop at night. And, my property is narrow in a couple of areas so I also have a feeling that I'd have an impossible time keeping them on my property. Is it actually feasible to keep them enclosed being that they are so sensitive to disease? Are there other options? Like if I keep them in a large fenced area and they "accidentally escape" will they immediately try to get back inside the fence like my chickens do? Or would a fenced but not enclosed run be pointless?

I've been thinking about getting turkeys for a while but wrote the idea off because of how many trees I have. But, I've been wondering lately if its something I should try anyway. I have a feeling that if I were to free range them I'd have an impossible time getting them into a coop at night. And, my property is narrow in a couple of areas so I also have a feeling that I'd have an impossible time keeping them on my property. Is it actually feasible to keep them enclosed being that they are so sensitive to disease? Are there other options? Like if I keep them in a large fenced area and they "accidentally escape" will they immediately try to get back inside the fence like my chickens do? Or would a fenced but not enclosed run be pointless?
I have lots of trees. They are not an issue with my turkeys. Make sure your perimeter fence does not have a top rail of any kind. Anything that looks like a desirable perch will be used by the turkeys and they will almost always get down on the wrong side of the fence. If just one or a couple get out, they will normally pace back and forth along the fence trying to get back in. If a large group gets out, they may go on a walk about.

My perimeter fence is 2"x4"x6' welded wire. I very rarely have any turkeys on the wrong side of the fence in an approximately 2 acre area.

Once trained, turkeys will return to their roosting area every night.

Other than blackhead, mature turkeys are not very sensitive to disease.

Back
Top Bottom