Thinking about keeping a cockerel... a few questions, and is it worth it to YOU?

Is a rooster worth it?

• Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I only keep 1 male, for 'making' replacement layers.
But I keep chickens for food, not as pets.
Have enjoyed all 3 that I have kept,
current one hatched here and took some work to 'tame'.
Multiple males are a PITA, at least in my limited space.
I've eaten many a cockerel.

Some may 'keep the peace'.
Some may be predator protection.
Most are gorgeous.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Glad to know at least a few people have nice roosters.

I guess I just had a bad experience taking care of the neighbors rooster who was a RIR (granted, they had only 1 rooster and 2 hens so I think they were getting over-mated, so I'm not sure they knew a whole lot about chickens...)

When people say they aren't too aggressive, how aggressive does that really mean? Will he still run and attack you, or not?
I've had two good roosters out of 5. Years ago we raised chicks (Cornish X and RIR) and ate them as they got mean. The Cornish was the worst, one of the RIRs got mean a few months later, and the other RIR kept a respectful distance. Not sure if he was just a better guy or if he figured out that whoever charged me disappeared.
Last year we got chickens again and ended up with two- 1 silkie and 1 EE. The silkie was bad at "roostering", but pretty, so we kept him around until he started causing trouble. The EE was pretty rambunctious as a chick and I think it may have saved him. We would "peck" him back when he acted up when he was little and he grew up into a little gentleman. He's also good with the flock- keeping an eye out for hawks, treating the ladies, etc., which is important to me since they free range during the day.
Edited to add: I chose "Yes, if they aren’t too aggressive" but to me that means not aggressive at all. I'll put up with a dropped wing as a test once or twice, but if they don't get the message when walk through them they're coming to dinner.

Last edited:
I've been pairing up 1cock 1hen since the 90s with no problems. So yes it can happen. I've never had the overbreeding problems i read on here. Also the absolute worst layer I ever seen was a Rhode island red my neighbor had

I liked my Buff Orpington rooster. Very entertaining! He was always nesting and trying to get his favorite hens to go broody. And finding the hens treats. He wasn't aggressive toward humans. Felt cuddly when I held him. Kind of big for some of the hens though, and didn't like one of our hens for some reason. But overall a cool dude. Sad how he died. Found him under the roost in the morning. I think he had fallen in the night.

I am new to all of this as well. Having 4/6 of my orpingtons being roosters I kept them all and just watched. At 8 weeks I rehomed #1 as I did not have enough hens to keep them all and someone wanted him. He was very sweet- no problems. His brother #2 was skittish and shy but not aggressive - I rehomed him at 12 weeks and he turned out to be aggressive. My chocolate # 3 my favorite was sweet as pie until he wasn’t- just attacked my husband out of nowhere- just flew at him and gouged his legs pretty bad at 7 months- My lavender #4 who was calm from a chick, never the type to run up to you like the others to say hi but no aggression. He is now 7 months old and comes up to say hi, loves treats and is doing well with my hens- and I only have 5 hens now. I guess it really just depends on what they decide to do. All of mine were raised together as chicks and were handled every day and treated exactly the same yet all turned out different. I must say they are LOUD, but I live in the country and really enjoy having them- a lot of the hens like them as well (one is still not a fan).

all of mine are English Orpingtons.

Harry is the Lavender laced that I kept. I included the baby pic as they were just too cute .

Attachments

• A2DC5ACC-342D-4C82-9223-57239EDCB798.jpeg
    A2DC5ACC-342D-4C82-9223-57239EDCB798.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 8
  • B59D00FC-6072-4FAE-A69E-30BDF0276BB6.jpeg
    B59D00FC-6072-4FAE-A69E-30BDF0276BB6.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 8
  • D05E53A9-1CE4-4C02-81DB-DDF0E286C666.jpeg
    D05E53A9-1CE4-4C02-81DB-DDF0E286C666.jpeg
    910.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom