Thinking about keeping chickens: allergy question

eggheads

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
In the contemplation stage right now. My son is severely allergic to just about any animal with fur. Checked with his allergist re: possibility of keeping chix. Was told could try it out. If son shows any itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, wheezing, would have to get rid of all the chickens. Anyone with similar experience, dog/cat allergies, etc.? TIA Steve

There should be a test for that. However, most people keep their chickens outdoors. It would probably be possible to keep chickens without them having contact with your son.
idunno.gif

BTW
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio
frow.gif

Quote:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. I agree with Wild Trapper. Just make sure you have someone lined up to take the chickens just in case you can't keep them. I hope it all works out for you.
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif

my 15 year old son is allergic to a lot of animals too, but he never comes in contact with the chickens so he is fine. my chickens are in the barn in a coop of their own.

you could get your doctor to do an allergy test for that too.

Ema

welcome-byc.gif
from SC! My sister, 23, is allergic to chickens, but she can pet them. If they keep flying around her it will bother her, she cant cuddle them, but other than that she's fine, I'd say make sure where they live is airy, that helps, ALOT! I'm just too lucky, I'm not allergic to anything,
sad.png
I feel sad to see other kids allergic to things. I dont like thinking myself highly either, makes life harder.

Back
Top Bottom