Thinking about raising Chickens

Im sorry, but no chicken can lay more than one egg a day. The process of yolk, albumen and the other membranes then shell takes approximately 22 hours. I hardly see this as feasible.

Hey, slugmar, about coops:
If you haven't already, don't forget to check out the home page of this forum, lots of good info there and discussion threads in the Coops catergory!
wink.png

yeah i have been reading there and everywear

I called one of my local feed stores and they can order both hen and rooster.

I cant deicided on the Buff Orphington Bread or RIR and Iam not for sure how many roosters I need per hen to be able to produce offsprings.

So far Iam thinking of between 20 and 30 hens and i read somewhere that one rooster can handle 8 hens so about 4 roosters iam guessing.

I was also looking for a gloosery of terms used on the website at first i didnt know what broody ment had to do a little reserach i understand know that its when a hen sits on eggs dont know how to tell when one is going to do this or not.

sounds like a lifetime of learning is going to happen.

well back to reading and more research.

Quote:
All I can say to that is I had two chickens. I collected eggs every day mid morning and late afternoon. I frequently found three eggs in the nest box. Once or twice I would find another later in the day.

I remembered going to a county fair and seeing the egg laying contest charts. A few hens were laying two and three a day and one hen(the champ) had layed five in one day so I didn't think it was unusual to get two. If I had known it was so unusual I would have tried to breed her. I also would have kept a record of multi egg laying days. I am sure the multi layer was Goldie, her eggs where generally darker than Rubies. Sadly both got eaten by a dog.

Back
Top Bottom