Thinking about showing Ameraucanas!!!

piper2009

Songster
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hi, I am thinking about showing Ameraucanas and I am trying to decide on a few colors to start with. They are all so pretty and I am having a hard time picking a color or two, so, I would love to see your Ameraucanas! Please only true Ameraucanas.

Also, if anyone has any good showing tips for Ameraucanas or just showing in general I would love to hear them!

Thanks so much!
~Alex

I think you should re-post on the Ameraucana thread. There are judges, experienced showers, and the president of the Amerucana Breeders club who frequent that thread.

I would recommend joining the Ameraucana Breeders Club and utilizing their forum also. Most folks start out with solid colors such as blacks. The color is the most established and the best in type. From there you can easily branch into splash and blue.

Hi, I am thinking about showing Ameraucanas and I am trying to decide on a few colors to start with. They are all so pretty and I am having a hard time picking a color or two, so, I would love to see your Ameraucanas! Please only true Ameraucanas.

Also, if anyone has any good showing tips for Ameraucanas or just showing in general I would love to hear them!

Thanks so much!
~Alex

Alex, After you have done your homework, consider the Wheaten variety. You should not breed Wheatens to Whites, Blacks, Buffs or Lavs. Those are all pretty birds but they, in my opinion, do not have the color variety of which you seek. Wheaten are bred amongst themselves but can produce 3 colors within the variety. Blue Wheaten (BW) Wheaten and Splash Wheaten. The hens are a beautiful creamy color with either blue, black or white accents, and the roosters, of course, are even more colorful and beautiful. If you develop a large enough flock you could even keep 1 each of the beautiful roosters or rotate different rooster colors every couple of years for a smaller flock. This advise is meant for a backyard fancier - breeders don't beat me please. I raise the Wheatens. Go see my page for a sampling of what your flock could look like on a smaller scale. You might also consider raising Easter Eggers. They can come in so many color varieties and you could make your own flock by choosing some of the afore mentioned colors and letting them breed as they will and raising the offspring. That would give you LOTS of color and the shape of Ameraucanas with their beautiful tails, compact and hardy body, lovely eggs, pea comb (great for cold winters) and dark legs. Of course, you cannot show EEs as Ameraucanas so choose carefully. But if COLOR is what you really want, EEs might be the way to go for you.

Last edited:
@ far149, I was really thinking about the Black variety and I was also really looking into becoming a ABC member. Thanks for the help!

@ParadiseFoundFarm, Thanks so much for all the helpful tips! I was also really considering the Wheaten variety. As far as EEs go I currently own 3 of them and they have always been a part of my backyard flock! I really do like the color varieties of EE but I would like to show some birds and I have fallen in love with Ameraucanas! :)

@ far149, I was really thinking about the Black variety and I was also really looking into becoming a ABC member. Thanks for the help!

@ParadiseFoundFarm, Thanks so much for all the helpful tips! I was also really considering the Wheaten variety. As far as EEs go I currently own 3 of them and they have always been a part of my backyard flock! I really do like the color varieties of EE but I would like to show some birds and I have fallen in love with Ameraucanas! :)

Easy to do!
love.gif

Check out the breeders' list on the Ameraucana Breeders Club website. There you can find breeders close to you who have the colors you are interested in raising. If you want to get into showing, having contact with these folks can be indispensable. I know I frequently touch base with the breeder of my original birds, Paul Smith, for advice or ideas.

Back
Top Bottom