Thinking about this for my 3. . .

so maybe put that lower vent on the east side that will be protected by a covered run? Also it's rare that a storm comes in from the East here.

Done the right way, insulation at the ceiling could keep extra heat out of the coop. You have a metal roof? Cant tell from your pic if there is a gap between the walls and the roof? Ideally you would have a gap under the roof overhang, covered with hardware cloth and open 24/7, 365 for ventilation. This is up high enough that it should not create a draft on the roost area. Believe me, you do not want to think in terms of holding heat in but rather keeping it out. Also you want an air vent down low so as to draw in fresh air from the bottom that exits through the upper venting, taking with it the moisture and amonia from chicken breathing and pooping. Besides a strong draft, the other thing to watch for in cold weather is that you do not get moisture condensing on the ceiling which then 'rains' down on the birds causing frostbite. You can always add more vents if you need them based on your observations. A lot of how you manage your birds will depend on your specific location. If you at least put your state in your profile, people can help you more. I think your birds will love their home.:D

:) I did put in my post that we will be using this coop on the eastern shore of Virginia, but right now I am in PA and using a converted dog kennel for my flock. I do understand about the ventilation, and I will have to check about that under the eaves, I think it has ventilated soffit rather than hardware cloth, and the ridge cap has the fiber stuff to keep bugs out but lets air vent. I can always pop more vents in as needed. As you pointed out, it is the condensation I will have to watch for.

Yes the windows open and yes they are covered with hardware cloth.

My dear hubby is actually thinking about building this rather than me purchasing it. That would allow me to make any changes that I want.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom