thinking about turkeys...questions

MsPony

Songster
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Santa Barbara
I have a free ranging backyard flock, my backyard isn't enormous or small, I can safely do some ducks/turkeys/more chickens. But, I'm kind of hooked on turkeys. I HATED turkeys until 2 years ago, I was farm sitting, I had to dash across the property w/ the turkeys running after me (more excited then chasing lol) and would spider-man myself through the horse pens to feed them. I got tired of this and grabbed the tom one day and hugged him, we became friends after that and I totally fell in love.

I would like to keep the turkeys in w/ my hens, I know I need to check up on blackhead disease in my area.

How do I feed? Right now everyones on chick food due to the two little ones w/ calcium in a dish offered. I also offer seed mixes (wheat seed, BOSS, millet, etc.) and they free range. So how do I feed both safely...?

Also, I have two itty bitty bantees in the flock, they hold their own and boss around my 6# hens, but when I had a heavy breed roo, he would mount and squish them. So that was a big reason he had to go. Since the turks are st run, would I have any issue w/ a tom in the group? Or should he be dinner?
wink.png

Oh, and are just two turk hens ok? They fly, so I'd need to keep them clipped right?

What are the differences in brooding chicks vs turks? I stick a light on the chicks and keep them in a open topped storage bin.

I have two turkeys I have kept in with my chickens and they seem to do great. The turkeys mind their own business and the chickens seem to leave them alone too. They all eat the chicken pellets and scratch and we have a separate feeder for the turkeys with corn. We also feed them a lot of kitchen scraps daily which they love. I also offer block block and oyster shells for variety. They have never fought with the chickens. I imagine the type of turkey and chicken breed may make a difference. We have broad-breasted bronze turkeys and a mix of chickens from Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rock, White Leghorn and Golden Laced Wyandotte. My turkeys are the friendliest birds ever and love to be around us, letting my kids pet them often with no problems at all. I don't think there would be a problem just having turk hens as long as you aren't worried about getting new chicks from them. My turkeys don't fly since they are a heavier breed so I did not have to clip their wings. I hope this helps. Maybe my post will get you some more feedback. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom