Thinking niacin deficiency...

I feed them Purina scratch grains...most likely not enough niacin. I'll try to get a picture of his feet tomorrow for you, and I'll also see if we can pick up that B complex at the pharmacy.

Sure won’t hurt to give the B complex a try. TSC carries it in the cattle dept also 1 ml or 3 ml with the human feed it over peas or mealworms so he gets full dose.

Thank you, I'll be picking some up tomorrow to try and give him. Sadly we don't have a TSC near us so it'll have to be the human version.

I recently bought one Kilogram of this stuff, so my ducks will have Niacin and Vitamin C in their drinking water for the next years. - Just saw, the Niacin is only available in 25KG at the Moment:lau, but there is another product available »Flush-Free Niacin (Inositol Nicotinate) Powder« which contains B3 and B8. The prices there are very affordable…

I recently bought one Kilogram of this stuff, so my ducks will have Niacin and Vitamin C in their drinking water for the next years. - Just saw, the Niacin is only available in 25KG at the Moment:lau, but there is another product available »Flush-Free Niacin (Inositol Nicotinate) Powder« which contains B3 and B8. The prices there are very affordable…

Oh wow, lol. Thank you for the links.

Is this the drake that started losing weight back in September?

No, this is another drake. The one who started to lose weight is doing fine.

Figures, we do not keep them in a coop, and I slept in today and so he flew off before he could get his grain. I feed him separately than the others since he's injured so he can be sure to get food...I'll try to catch him later to get pics of his feet.

I got to thinking last night about what you're feeding. The scratch grains are also deficient in many other vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Is there any way that you can start feeding them an all flock feed or chick crumble?
And a full spectrum vitamin?

Is calf manna good for ducks?

And a full spectrum vitamin?

Is calf manna good for ducks?
Yeah, I don't know enough about the nutritional value of scratch grains to say whether or not a vitamin supplement would be appropriate.

Calf Manna? If it's okay for other poultry it's fine for ducks.

Yeah, I don't know enough about the nutritional value of scratch grains to say whether or not a vitamin supplement would be appropriate.

Calf Manna? If it's okay for other poultry it's fine for ducks.
Not as a continued feeding strategy. Scratch grains should never be the main part of a diet--it is like crack to poultry. It should only be a treat if used. I do not use it because I have had fatty liver disease and scratch does not help with that.

Supplements to get them back from the nutritional deficiency while they go on the proper feed for them

Back
Top Bottom