Thinking niacin deficiency...

Pics

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
5 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
My Muscovy drake has had a limp for a while, some of you may remember me creating a thread about him. I've been letting it heal on its own while watching him closely, and today I think I might've gotten my answer as to what is wrong with him.

He'd been limping with only one foot, but now I find him favoring not only the other, but both. I'm starting to think its a niacin deficiency.

I'm creating this thread because I want to hear what you guys suggest: brewers yeast or isn't there something like liquid B complex? Like, one for humans? I live no where near a tractor supply and don't know if any of the feed stores near me would have the liquid B for cattle that I've seen suggested numerous times here.

I would also like to ask about dosage. If I do end up giving him something to see if this helps, could someone help me out with this? He's a full-grown Muscovy drake that's only a few months old.

Thanks! Sorry if I got some facts wrong...I've only read up (and not recently) about leg problems and have never dealt with this before.

vitamin b complex.jpeg

Can you get this at a pharmacy?

Last edited:
Nice!

What do you suggest for after the deficiency is corrected for long term care?
What do you suggest for after the deficiency is corrected for long term care?
I would suggest feeding a feed that has at least 55 ppm niacin. That means a feed that has 55 mg of niacin per 2.2 pounds. If such a feed is hard to come by, I would suggest adding niacin or a b complex to their feed or their drinking water.
duck nutrional_1.png

Last edited:
I would suggest feeding a feed that has at least 55 ppm niacin. That means a feed that has 55 mg of niacin per 2.2 pounds. If such a feed is hard to come by, I would suggest adding niacin or a b complex to they feed or their drinking water.
View attachment 1584178
:goodpost:

My Muscovy drake has had a limp for a while, some of you may remember me creating a thread about him. I've been letting it heal on its own while watching him closely, and today I think I might've gotten my answer as to what is wrong with him.

He'd been limping with only one foot, but now I find him favoring not only the other, but both. I'm starting to think its a niacin deficiency.

I'm creating this thread because I want to hear what you guys suggest: brewers yeast or isn't there something like liquid B complex? Like, one for humans? I live no where near a tractor supply and don't know if any of the feed stores near me would have the liquid B for cattle that I've seen suggested numerous times here.

I would also like to ask about dosage. If I do end up giving him something to see if this helps, could someone help me out with this? He's a full-grown Muscovy drake that's only a few months old.

Thanks! Sorry if I got some facts wrong...I've only read up (and not recently) about leg problems and have never dealt with this before.
Are you sure that it is not bumblefoot or an injury? - What i've heart is that ducks with Niacin deficiency go limp on both legs…

View attachment 1584139
Can you get this at a pharmacy?

Thank you for the replies! I'll have to see if my pharmacy carries that tomorrow, its probably getting too late now to go out for me.

I'll have to check how much niacin is in his current feed...and I'll research others too. Could be, for price sake, I might start just supplementing the water, but we'll see what my feed store might have.

Are you sure that it is not bumblefoot or an injury? - What i've heart is that ducks with Niacin deficiency go limp on both legs…

The odd thing about the injured duck, was that I found him with a limp, but no visible injury on the leg. No hotness, swelling, bumblefoot, broken bones, or anything. I created a thread on here asking people's opinions, and it seemed like he could've landed wrong or somehow twisted it without a visible sign. He's been acting normally and eats and drinks fine.

He only limped in one leg for several weeks, though, and just today he started limping with both legs. I've checked his one leg that has been injured a while ago several times, and I've never seen any signs of bumblefoot or another injury. I just checked his other leg once today. I can check both again tomorrow morning.

I can provide pictures if you want, but I am seeing no sign of bumblefoot or an injury. I've looked and felt, so that's why I'm assuming niacin deficiency. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom