Thinking of converting this into a coop...

Jenn - I think that play structure will make a great coop, and it doesn't have to cost you much at all to get it ready. The key is not over-thinking it.

Get some hardware cloth or chicken wire (depending on your predator situation.....lots of predators = hardware cloth......few or very small predators = chicken wire)......and close in a safe area for them, where you'll be able to lock them up at night.

Cover the bad floor with a piece of plywood with a scrap piece of linoleum glued down onto it. Then throw some straw (or whatever bedding material you can get cheaply down there) down on the floor.

Add a couple of nesting boxes in their 'safe' area, where you'll also put their food and water. Chickens will happily drink out of a big bowl on the ground, and later, you can spring for a waterer with a little more capacity. Same thing for food.

as for the rest, I'd leave it and let the chickens use it for how it was intended....as a play structure. Just build them a ramp or two to get around, and place a bunch of roosting bars (2x4's) under the coop so they can hang out in the shade. I'd probably replace the existing slide and ladder with ramps. Instead of having the ramps extend far out away from the coop, to save space, you can always have them run up along the sides of the coop. For fun, you could always leave the slide, and simply screw traction bars into it, so they can use it as a ramp instead.......even cheaper!

If the gaps under the windows are simply those little gaps between the vertical boards, I wouldn't bother closing them......when you say "deep south", I'm going to guess that it never gets cold enough for a draft to become a danger.

I personally wouldn't worry about lowering it.

You can't get away from start-up costs, but I bet that if you're thrifty, you could have that structure ready for chickens for $50 - $150. That's a WHOLE lot better than building a coop from scratch, which is going to be $500 - $2,000, depending on how big/fancy you want to get. If you want to recoup that cost, you get 6 chickens, which will give you 30 - 40 eggs a week......sell a dozen a week to your friends (who will LOVE your healthy free range eggs) for $3/doz, and your coop is paid off within 9 months or so.

goodpost.gif

I'll second everything that post said!

and add, this. Make the nest boxes external so you don't have to reach in to get the eggs. I'd fix one whole side to swing open, you could then reach in with a rake to clean out the bedding when needed.

I can just about guarantee you can convert that for less than $150, and most of that cost is going to be whatever wire you wrap it in..

Last edited:
Jenn - I think that play structure will make a great coop, and it doesn't have to cost you much at all to get it ready. The key is not over-thinking it.

Get some hardware cloth or chicken wire (depending on your predator situation.....lots of predators = hardware cloth......few or very small predators = chicken wire)......and close in a safe area for them, where you'll be able to lock them up at night.

Cover the bad floor with a piece of plywood with a scrap piece of linoleum glued down onto it. Then throw some straw (or whatever bedding material you can get cheaply down there) down on the floor.

Add a couple of nesting boxes in their 'safe' area, where you'll also put their food and water. Chickens will happily drink out of a big bowl on the ground, and later, you can spring for a waterer with a little more capacity. Same thing for food.

as for the rest, I'd leave it and let the chickens use it for how it was intended....as a play structure. Just build them a ramp or two to get around, and place a bunch of roosting bars (2x4's) under the coop so they can hang out in the shade. I'd probably replace the existing slide and ladder with ramps. Instead of having the ramps extend far out away from the coop, to save space, you can always have them run up along the sides of the coop. For fun, you could always leave the slide, and simply screw traction bars into it, so they can use it as a ramp instead.......even cheaper!

If the gaps under the windows are simply those little gaps between the vertical boards, I wouldn't bother closing them......when you say "deep south", I'm going to guess that it never gets cold enough for a draft to become a danger.

I personally wouldn't worry about lowering it.

You can't get away from start-up costs, but I bet that if you're thrifty, you could have that structure ready for chickens for $50 - $150. That's a WHOLE lot better than building a coop from scratch, which is going to be $500 - $2,000, depending on how big/fancy you want to get. If you want to recoup that cost, you get 6 chickens, which will give you 30 - 40 eggs a week......sell a dozen a week to your friends (who will LOVE your healthy free range eggs) for $3/doz, and your coop is paid off within 9 months or so.

goodpost.gif

I'll second everything that post said!

and add, this. Make the nest boxes external so you don't have to reach in to get the eggs. I'd fix one whole side to swing open, you could then reach in with a rake to clean out the bedding when needed.

I can just about guarantee you can convert that for less than $150, and most of that cost is going to be whatever wire you wrap it in..

A little confused here. Are you saying to put the nesting boxes at ground level but make it secure so they really have access to the entire upper and lower part of the play structure at all times? I think I could figure out how to make that work. I was originally thinking turning the hole for the climbing wall into a swinging door and putting the nesting boxes against the edge there.

I'm not sure I can get away without lowering it. My tallest boy is just barely 5' and can only see the platform at his eyes. I'm hoping that they will be my helpers like they said they will be (yes as an adult I am ultimately responsible). The oldest 2 are nearly 11 and this would be a great learning experience. If the nesting boxes are within reach on the ground, then we can use step ladders and a rake for cleaning it out. Even at almost 5' 7", the structure is hard for me to reach in.

Any ideas on where to get the best cheap linoleum scraps are? In theory I could wrap it around the edge of the board that I would lay down over the existing floor prior to putting it in there. I know I read some people have problems with it coming off the edges or the chickens pecking it if it separates, but wrapping it should stop that.

Dumpster diving behind the local carpet store. They will also sell the larger scraps inside.

We just went to a local discount floor covering store....they had cutoff pieces left over from jobs in a big bin.....we got one big enough to cover our 4x6 floor for $5 or $10. I happened to have some carpet glue that I used, but I'm sure a thick bead of silicone around the edges would hold it down just fine. If you wrapped it, as you said, you could just staple it to the underside....presto...easy-to-clean floor.

A little confused here. Are you saying to put the nesting boxes at ground level but make it secure so they really have access to the entire upper and lower part of the play structure at all times? I think I could figure out how to make that work. I was originally thinking turning the hole for the climbing wall into a swinging door and putting the nesting boxes against the edge there.

I'm not sure I can get away without lowering it. My tallest boy is just barely 5' and can only see the platform at his eyes. I'm hoping that they will be my helpers like they said they will be (yes as an adult I am ultimately responsible). The oldest 2 are nearly 11 and this would be a great learning experience. If the nesting boxes are within reach on the ground, then we can use step ladders and a rake for cleaning it out. Even at almost 5' 7", the structure is hard for me to reach in.

Any ideas on where to get the best cheap linoleum scraps are? In theory I could wrap it around the edge of the board that I would lay down over the existing floor prior to putting it in there. I know I read some people have problems with it coming off the edges or the chickens pecking it if it separates, but wrapping it should stop that.
no I wouldn't make them ground level, hang them so you can access them from the outside, but lower than the roost bars Ground level would invite all kinds of egg stealers. You could mount a couple of 2x4's horizontal between the legs of the play set. Make them far enough apart to fit the nest box in and make it accessable from the outside.

see the wide horizontal open space? that turned into my external nest boxes.

I made mine where the top raised, but you can make it a bit more weather proof if you have the front drop instead.

Last edited:
no I wouldn't make them ground level, hang them so you can access them from the outside, but lower than the roost bars Ground level would invite all kinds of egg stealers. You could mount a couple of 2x4's horizontal between the legs of the play set. Make them far enough apart to fit the nest box in and make it accessable from the outside. see the wide horizontal open space? that turned into my external nest boxes. I made mine where the top raised, but you can make it a bit more weather proof if you have the front drop instead.
Thank you for the visual. I was thinking that ground level might cause predator issues. New question, does the darkness on the wood look like something I could/should clean off or can I just paint over it to protect it? If cleaning is needed, what do I use? You can also see the gaps in this picture.

I would not worry about the darkness. It looks natural. Paint it only if it makes you concerned about making your added wood all same color. Remember that when you paint over inferior surfaces, the paint has a tendency to peel soon. The playhouse is most likely made of outdoor wood or treated wood , to withstand weather for some years.

I agree with the Caveman....leave the wood as is.....it looks good, unless you really want to. I wouldn't worry about those gaps.....the only thing that'll get through there are bugs, and your ladies will make quick work of them.

Check my avatar for another view of external nesting boxes.....mine have a lid on the outside, as well. Google Image "Nesting Box", and you'll see a million versions.

Yeah I'd leave the wood natural as well. If the cracks become "worrisome" size, you could always cover them with smaller strips, kind of a board and batten look

Could you put an outdoor bench at the base where you need extra height? I could also be a nice chicken viewing area. As for nest boxes, I can't tell for certain the design of the playhouse, but I am planning to use old kitchen cabinets laid sideways for my next coop. It is the right size, already has internal separations, can be screwed securely to the surfaces to keep in place, and I will add a latch to the door to keep it locked. I like the idea of keeping the height and turning that into a chicken area with lots of roost space. Can you just use the existing steps to get up to clean out the main coop box?

Back
Top Bottom