Thinking of getting ducks in the future

This is my coop and run. I have both my ducks and chickens together. The coop is 6x8 and the whole run is 8x25. Admittedly, I went a little overboard with the whole thing.
idunno.gif

Here's some key things about it.
>The coop is big enough for 12 birds and the run for 20 based on the minimum recommendations. However, my limit is 10 birds, per city code. I went this big so that they have plenty of room on the days when they can't free range (like during blizzards).
>I like the extra space provided by having a raised coop. However, it I had more room I'd have it level with the ground. The ducks can go up the ramp but they don't like to. Plus it's a bit of a pain for me to get in.
>The coop bottom is hardware cloth stretched across composite deck boards. There is a roof line vent, two soofet vents, and 4 under eave vents total. All this is to keep the coop ventilated even when I need to close the windows.
>I like having the pea gravel around the in-ground stock tank to help with the splashing water.. You can see the tank on the left end of the run.
>I like the roof for two reasons. One is it lets me use the deep litter method in the run. Since this picture I actually expanded the deep litter to the other side of the door. Two is that it helps keep out the snow in winter.
>In retrospect, I wish I had covered the whole thing. I though it would be nice for the ducks to have a spot where they could stand in the rain. But really it just makes for move shoveling in the winter.
>The entire run is enclosed in hardware cloth. It's good for keeping out all the predators I have to worry about, including raccoons.
>Those tall grasses you can see on the other side of the stock tank didn't last. I won't bother with adding more plants in the future.
>You can hardly see it but there is a blue bucket hanging next to the feeder under the coop. This is a nipple waterer that they use while eating. It helps keep the mess down. A deeper bucket is on the pea gravel for them to dunk their heads. You can't see it in the picture.

You don't have to get this elaborate. You just need to make sure you have enough space and it is predator proof. Figure on them spending more time outside than inside of a coop. Design the coop to be well ventilated. You'll want to plan for the weather you deal with and have a plan for keeping the splashing water under control. I did a lot of research on keeping ducks so I had a good idea of the problems I'd face. I think planning for those is what really matters.

This is my coop and run. I have both my ducks and chickens together. The coop is 6x8 and the whole run is 8x25. Admittedly, I went a little overboard with the whole thing.
idunno.gif

Here's some key things about it.
>The coop is big enough for 12 birds and the run for 20 based on the minimum recommendations. However, my limit is 10 birds, per city code. I went this big so that they have plenty of room on the days when they can't free range (like during blizzards).
>I like the extra space provided by having a raised coop. However, it I had more room I'd have it level with the ground. The ducks can go up the ramp but they don't like to. Plus it's a bit of a pain for me to get in.
>The coop bottom is hardware cloth stretched across composite deck boards. There is a roof line vent, two soofet vents, and 4 under eave vents total. All this is to keep the coop ventilated even when I need to close the windows.
>I like having the pea gravel around the in-ground stock tank to help with the splashing water.. You can see the tank on the left end of the run.
>I like the roof for two reasons. One is it lets me use the deep litter method in the run. Since this picture I actually expanded the deep litter to the other side of the door. Two is that it helps keep out the snow in winter.
>In retrospect, I wish I had covered the whole thing. I though it would be nice for the ducks to have a spot where they could stand in the rain. But really it just makes for move shoveling in the winter.
>The entire run is enclosed in hardware cloth. It's good for keeping out all the predators I have to worry about, including raccoons.
>Those tall grasses you can see on the other side of the stock tank didn't last. I won't bother with adding more plants in the future.
>You can hardly see it but there is a blue bucket hanging next to the feeder under the coop. This is a nipple waterer that they use while eating. It helps keep the mess down. A deeper bucket is on the pea gravel for them to dunk their heads. You can't see it in the picture.

You don't have to get this elaborate. You just need to make sure you have enough space and it is predator proof. Figure on them spending more time outside than inside of a coop. Design the coop to be well ventilated. You'll want to plan for the weather you deal with and have a plan for keeping the splashing water under control. I did a lot of research on keeping ducks so I had a good idea of the problems I'd face. I think planning for those is what really matters.
Very nice set up. Hardware cloth is definitely the best bet for predators. We had to go with the small hardware cloth because of snakes. Our ducks and chickens are housed separately because our chickens run the ducks off.

Hello! I have some questions about ducks....

We have a very large ornamental pond with koi, probably 20 x 15 feet and about 4 feet deep. There is also a smaller pond with a long stream connecting the two. There is a skimmer filter system that pumps water from the big pond up to the little pond. We get a lot of string algae in the stream that is a bit of a pain to manage. I was thinking of maybe getting 2 or 3 ducks to help clean up the algae, however, do ducks even eat the string algae? I am also wondering if the ducks would destroy the ornamental pond in the process. Would their poo ruin the water? Also, our free range chicken poo washes away in the rain, does duck poo wash away as well.

Any breeds that are recommended? We have 3 acres, mostly private. I am more concerned about the mess than anything else. We also have two dogs, two cats and two young girls so we would need breeds that are not to timid.

Thank you for any feedback!

Hello!
Great layers and relatively quiet ducks are most definitely Welsh Harlequins.
Raising them from hatchlings also allows a sweet bond to form. :love
I would definitely recommend welsh from Metzer if you lack local and/or trustworthy breeders.
Pros:
Gorgeous, good layer, entertaining, become sweet babies (if raised), good foragers, good clean up for kitchen scraps, cold and weather tolerant
Cons:
Poop.
(If you don't raise them, them being scared of you is a possibility.)

5 week welsh Harlequins. One male, one female.

Hello! I have some questions about ducks....

We have a very large ornamental pond with koi, probably 20 x 15 feet and about 4 feet deep. There is also a smaller pond with a long stream connecting the two. There is a skimmer filter system that pumps water from the big pond up to the little pond. We get a lot of string algae in the stream that is a bit of a pain to manage. I was thinking of maybe getting 2 or 3 ducks to help clean up the algae, however, do ducks even eat the string algae? I am also wondering if the ducks would destroy the ornamental pond in the process. Would their poo ruin the water? Also, our free range chicken poo washes away in the rain, does duck poo wash away as well.

Any breeds that are recommended? We have 3 acres, mostly private. I am more concerned about the mess than anything else. We also have two dogs, two cats and two young girls so we would need breeds that are not to timid.

Thank you for any feedback!

I don't have a pond but I was considering putting one in for my ducks. While researching I found lots of threads were folks were talking about how difficult it is to keep the pond clean and how hard it is on the filtration system. I think the big thing people recommended was a dirty water pump. If you have koi you might already have one of those. You'll probably have to clean the filters more often.

I don't know if they'll eat string algae. And if they don't, I think their poop will increase the nitrate levels which would just feed the algae. Might be easier to find a different way to get rid of the algae, like barley straw or something.

But if you really want ducks I'd say go for it. You'll have to work around some stuff but I don't think they would cause any damage too the structure of your pond.

i have a brook (it's like a TINY lake, but a large stream) near our house (not far from the chicken/goat pen)
if i were to put the ducks in their for a quick swim would they run/swim away? (the brook leads to a pond, a little ways away from our house) or would they stay around like chickens?
(BTW i don't have the ducks [yet] but just saying if i did)

Hello!
Great layers and relatively quiet ducks are most definitely Welsh Harlequins.
Raising them from hatchlings also allows a sweet bond to form.
love.gif

I would definitely recommend welsh from Metzer if you lack local and/or trustworthy breeders.
Pros:
Gorgeous, good layer, entertaining, become sweet babies (if raised), good foragers, good clean up for kitchen scraps, cold and weather tolerant
Cons:
Poop.
(If you don't raise them, them being scared of you is a possibility.)

5 week welsh Harlequins. One male, one female.
are ducks more messy then turkeys? (just curious lol)
aww cute pic! yes, i am planning on getting them as young chicks (or.. ducklings?)

i read the whole article...didn't help much with my question, if they are in the brook, would they really want to travel downstream?

are ducks more messy then turkeys? (just curious lol)
aww cute pic! yes, i am planning on getting them as young chicks (or.. ducklings?) 

I have no experience with turkeys as I wouldn't know. As long as you keep up with them, for their health and your sake, it's not too bad of a mess.
As far as the stream, a good bond will HELP keep them from going too far but I wouldn't be set on that.

Back
Top Bottom