Thinking of getting emus

Do emus stink? After much consideration one of our options is to construct a fence next to the house. The master bedroom will be right next to it so we’ll be able to see the little darlings every morning and night. There’s 2 hose spickets right there for ease of watering and electrical near to heat water in the winter. Our main concern is if they stink it might not be the best spot for them.

Do emus stink? After much consideration one of our options is to construct a fence next to the house. The master bedroom will be right next to it so we’ll be able to see the little darlings every morning and night. There’s 2 hose spickets right there for ease of watering and electrical near to heat water in the winter. Our main concern is if they stink it might not be the best spot for them.
Big Birds = Big Poops :)

I’m sure there will be some good piles. But if it’s the same as our chickens stink wise that won’t be an issue. I just want to make sure that it’s nothing Over the top that’ll seep into the bedroom. If nothing else we’ll just have to clean up piles frequently.

They need 8 ft high fence and can be quite dangerous. People have been killed by emus.

I know 6’ is minimum and works well for most people. But I’ve never heard of anyone being killed by emu, maybe in the wild. I know ostrich and especially cassowary are capable, but emu are supposed to be very docile when hand raised.

Agreed! Very big pancake-like pudding poops, large splatters that seem like they can travel a foot, and lots of them haha! I feel like they are much smellier than chickens because of the size of their waste. They are certainly enormous when compared to chickens! To keep it tidy, I would scoop every day. Maybe you have a zoo nearby and can go check some out to see what you would be getting into. If you go at the end of the day, you will probably get a much better idea of the mess. They probably clean the yard in the am to get it ready for the public and by the end of the day several hour's worth of waste will have accumulated. I can't imagine what an emu pen would look like and smell like if not cleaned daily...wait, yes I can...it would be really smelly and disgusting unless it was a huge fenced pasture.

Back
Top Bottom