Thinking of getting goats!!!! need advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Skye_k23, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Skye_k23

Skye_k23 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Northern New Mexico
    Hello everyone. Just trying to get any info on dairy goats. I am thinking about getting a couple to use for milk. But need to know things. Like is it worth it cost wise? What about breeding? I only want 2. do I always have to breed them to have the milk? Any advice would be great.
    Brook

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I am getting some too. I guess it depends on how much milk you will use. I plan to make cheese, so it takes a lot of milk.

3. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

4. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    [​IMG]
    Quote:[​IMG] on my way!!!

5. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    maybe girls are better pets than boys. we had a boy years ago. we would stake him out down by the river and he would eat everything down to the river rocks. very functional that way. but what a horrible animal. He used to put his head back by his penis, pee on his forehead and then come at us. yep. ramming. maybe he was jealous of the horses or maybe he was just a sandwich short of a picnic. dunno. never again. let us know how it goes. I love goat cheese tho. [​IMG]

6. elevan

Quote:[​IMG] on my way!!!

Cool!

And btw, LOVE your signature!

7. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Most bucks are kinda mean. I had a Boer buck that ripped my leg open with his horns. The reason they ugh pee on their face is to attract females. If you want a pet male get it fixed. A dairy goat will produce milk up to a year. Yes, same as cows, bred yearly. If you don't need a ton of milk, Nigerian dwarf goats are great for milk. Other than that, standard dairy goats will give you what you need. Babies only need to nurse about 10 weeks, tho sometimes the moms will let them go longer. If you don't want a nursing baby, you can always bottle feed it or sell it as a bottle baby.

Have good fencing. They will jump a fence if they can or knock it down when they lean into it to scratch. I never had a problem with fence jumpers until I got Lucy, my paint boer. Then she taught every one of the buggers how to jump a fence. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I second the need for good fencing. We are very new to goats and discovered quickly that a 4 foot fence will not stop a Dwarf from going over.

Mine are both dairy goats but have never been bred. We plan on acquiring a buck in the spring.

Good luck! We love our goats. [​IMG]

Blessings-
    Em

9. elevan

I have 3 bucks and none are mean. They are all very sweet. Like roosters there is no reason to keep a mean one.

Good fencing is an absolute must and 5 foot in height minimum - 4 just isn't enough even for small breeds.

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Don't buy goats at auction. People dump sick/ problem ones there. See if someone will breed the does for you with their buck, then you don't need to keep a buck all year. Most bucks are not mean, but like any animal if mistreated, stuff happens. Hot wire or barbed wire fence. Does will not give milk until after they kid.Make sure you want to commit to milking twice a day every day, because that is what you need to do once you start. You can't beat fresh goat milk for quality, though. Goats are sweet and funny animals. I love mine:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by