thinking of getting goats...

lothefarmer

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
CA
we are thinking of getting goats this spring, for milk. i have no idea what i'm doing so i would like some insight as to how expensive this all should be, and what kind or how many goats we should get.

there are only 3 of us, so i was thinking one male and one female would probably be alright... right?
we have a lot of room in the back yard for them, but how much space exactly do a couple of goats need?
and we are interested in getting mixes, since purebreds, to my understanding, are quite expensive. what kind of mix would be good for dairy?
i don't know what else to ask, but i would just like to say i want to know as much as i can before going into this...

so, please, let me know any important things that you think i should be aware of first. :)

thanks a bunch !

I would go with 2 does - You can use someone elses buck as they are stinky and can be ornery. They have to have adequite shelter, clean water and we give ours free choice hay. they nee dtheir feet trimmed and worming, and sometimes help with delivery. You will also have to decide what to do with their kids when born- bottle raise or let mom care for them, as your family will be drinking the milk also. Alpine and nubians are great for milk production- Nubians are very friendly. Purebreds WITH PAPERS are expensive- without -they are about $150 at the most- I have a whole herd Id sell you
big_smile.png
Good luck- Pm me if you have any questions. thanks

Quote:
Me too....I am looking at a couple baby does. They have Lamacha/Alpine, Lamacha/Nubien, and Lamacha/oberhaslee. All are good milking goats. They want $25-$30 each.

Back
Top Bottom