Thinking of getting my lone campbell a friend?

natster1995

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
England
Hiya, I'm new to this site. I've been reading a lot on here before I bought my white campbell duck. I got him at two weeks old, he has since grown up on his own and will quack his head off if left on his own. He's now six weeks and will soon be living outside but I'd hate to leave him on his own. I've been in contact with a guy that has 3 miniature silver appleyards for sale (2 drakes and 1 female). They are four months old. I'm really scared that if I get them they might gang up on my duck and might even kill him. Anyone had experience with this kind of thing? Thanks in advance, Nat.

Hiya, I'm new to this site. I've been reading a lot on here before I bought my white campbell duck. I got him at two weeks old, he has since grown up on his own and will quack his head off if left on his own. He's now six weeks and will soon be living outside but I'd hate to leave him on his own. I've been in contact with a guy that has 3 miniature silver appleyards for sale (2 drakes and 1 female). They are four months old. I'm really scared that if I get them they might gang up on my duck and might even kill him. Anyone had experience with this kind of thing? Thanks in advance, Nat.
Don't do it. If yours is a drake and the other guys are two drakes and one female what will happen is they will fight with yours for dominance and then 3 drakes and one female spells death for the female. If anything get a couple of females for your guy and watch how happy he becomes.

I'd go ahead and purchase the lone female, if that's an option. :3 If he (or she) switches from indoors to outdoors and he's all alone, it'll be miserable. :/

Don't do it. If yours is a drake and the other guys are two drakes and one female what will happen is they will fight with yours for dominance and then 3 drakes and one female spells death for the female. If anything get a couple of females for your guy and watch how happy he becomes.

I'd go ahead and purchase the lone female, if that's an option. :3 If he (or she) switches from indoors to outdoors and he's all alone, it'll be miserable. :/

I completely agree with the no additional drakes part if there's one female, but couldn't this also be a potentially problematic mating situation since a Campbell drake would typically be twice the size of a mini SA?

I completely agree with the no additional drakes part if there's one female, but couldn't this also be a potentially problematic mating situation since a Campbell drake would typically be twice the size of a mini SA?
Are you wanting to breed specifically for ducklings? If not then just forego a drake and get a female as a companion for your duck. They are flock birds and need to be not alone but they are also independent females and will enjoy the company of another female as much if not more that a drake.

Are you wanting to breed specifically for ducklings? If not then just forego a drake and get a female as a companion for your duck. They are flock birds and need to be not alone but they are also independent females and will enjoy the company of another female as much if not more that a drake.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the one she already has is a drake and the question was about getting another two drakes and a duck, but all SA minis. Bad male/female mix of course, but I'm thinking even size difference might be a problem if the way I understood it was correct.

I've heard that two males will happily live together so I'm going to get one of the mini appleyard drakes. I'm not looking to breed, just company haha. Thanks for all the info :)

I've heard that two males will happily live together so I'm going to get one of the mini appleyard drakes. I'm not looking to breed, just company haha. Thanks for all the info
smile.png
Good decision. My two adult drakes, after a knock down drag out to establish dominance, are best buddies. They especially like to taunt the geese by going to opposite corners of the goose pen and doing a I'm over here...No, I'm over here. No wonder the gander wants to kill them.

Back
Top Bottom