Thinking of getting quail

The Jumbo Browns I ordered a certified as a James Marie line. The sure do look impressive, don't they? I ended up changing sources today for one of my orders because I just found out that the source I had in NC decided to refund my money with no communication. I am getting all of my eggs now from Orchard Hill Poultry out of GA. 50 Jumbo Brown and 50 TX A&M White. I wanted some variety to see what interesting crosses breeds I develop. I intent to breed true lineage of each bird as well - it's not absolutely necessary to recreate the wheel, but it sure can be fun.
Yes they do sound good, I talked to the guy at James Marie and he talked me into a different stock of the jumbo browns called the meat maker he said it was a fresher stock they had come up with that was real impressive same thing with the A&M he had me order what he called the recessive white same deal but bigger and better according to him. I’m excited for sure.

Where would one get quail? Hatchery? I'm not interested in incubating.
Not sure where you are located. There are hatcheries throughout the country who breed quail. I believe that stores like Blain's Farm and Fleet and Rural King will special order them for you. They typically have "chick days" near me in Illinois in the Spring. This is when they would bring in the special ordered birds as well. I believe the special order cut-off for Blain's is in February and you get the birds in April or so.
Don't hold me to that as I have not special ordered through them. I have purchased live chicks (chickens) at Blain's during chick days though and know for certain they offer a special order process. I'm just a bit hazy on the details.

Do you use just sand? I know many people offer dust baths for chickens can be as simple as just sand or very complex containing specific ratios of peat, dirt, DE, wood ashes, and who knows what else.
People get super into figuring out the exact thing that would possibly have the most effect on mites, but the primary use for a dust bath is as enrichment. Sand, dirt, anything that they can get into and throw around is fine. Just not pure DE, it's really harsh on lungs and should NEVER be present around birds in large amounts.

Anybody a quail incubating pro?
As my eggs are coming in soon, I want to make sure I do things right. In the Illinois forum a person who I know to be very educated on incubating said to unpack the eggs from the shipping box right away and then leave them sit out at room temp for a day and then place them in the alway running incubator. The idea of setting them out at room temp (70 in my case) seems scary to me, but something about letting the eggs pull in air to "air cell up" was the reasoning. Thoughts?

Also, I have a still air incubator with egg rotator - purchased specifically for this quail project. I plan to set it to 100F and 45 humidity for 15 days and then lockdown with humidity at 80 as hatching should begin soon. Thoughts?

Now the eggs are being layed today and shipping tomorrow to get here Monday. The eggs will be 4 days old then when I get them. They are shipping with an insulated box with a heat pack since I am in Illinois and it is winter. Should I count these 4 days in my incubation process or not? In other words is my day 15 lockdown really going to happen just 11 days after I get the eggs since the eggs are then 15 days old?

There are others that are much more experienced than I do you should wait for there reply’s. I would defiantly let the eggs sit for a day after being shaken up in the mail. Incubation will be from the day you put them in your incubator. I do humidity at 45 to 50 then 60 to 65 at lockdown but I have a Genesis Hova Bator 1588 circulated air incubator. I have good hatched but I no nothing about your incubator.

Anybody a quail incubating pro?
Now the eggs are being layed today and shipping tomorrow to get here Monday. The eggs will be 4 days old then when I get them. They are shipping with an insulated box with a heat pack since I am in Illinois and it is winter. Should I count these 4 days in my incubation process or not? In other words is my day 15 lockdown really going to happen just 11 days after I get the eggs since the eggs are then 15 days old?

Start counting from the day they go into the incubator! They stay fresh but don't develop before then :) I can't think of any reason to leave them sitting at room temp when you get them unless they are excessively chilly and need to warm up slowly or have issues. You might want to ask the seller why they say that.

Start counting from the day they go into the incubator! They stay fresh but don't develop before then :) I can't think of any reason to leave them sitting at room temp when you get them unless they are excessively chilly and need to warm up slowly or have issues. You might want to ask the seller why they say that.
I did a bit of research on "setting" eggs. It is apparently an unnecessary activity for fresh eggs straight from the nest. However, when eggs are transported in shipping they often get shaken quite a bit, which can result in a detached air sack. Setting allows the air sack to reposition if necessary prior to incubation. If the air sack sets in the wrong position it could result in a suffocated fully developed bird. Additionally, the eggs may not be at an ideal temperature. I drastic seeing in temp could result in shock to the egg or even condensation in the air sack which could also be detrimental. So the practice of setting the eggs at room temp (60-70 F) for 12-24 hours is used to give Spotted eggs a chance to acclinate and settle properly prior to incubation.
Since people will also delay the activity of rotating the eggs for a few days (I read cases of up to 7 days) to allow detached air sacks to reattach in proper location. You put the eggs in the rotator or tray but hold of on rotating. This why they are position properly with narrow end down causing the air sack to sit at the fat end in a steady position to reattach and for gravity to set the yolk properly below the air sack nice and center. I will give a few days. 7 days scares me. I am thinking 12-24 goes at room temp depending on the time of day they arrive and then 3 or 4 days in the rotator with no rotation and then I will plug in the rotator.

I did a bit of research on "setting" eggs. It is apparently an unnecessary activity for fresh eggs straight from the nest. However, when eggs are transported in shipping they often get shaken quite a bit, which can result in a detached air sack. Setting allows the air sack to reposition if necessary prior to incubation. If the air sack sets in the wrong position it could result in a suffocated fully developed bird. Additionally, the eggs may not be at an ideal temperature. I drastic seeing in temp could result in shock to the egg or even condensation in the air sack which could also be detrimental. So the practice of setting the eggs at room temp (60-70 F) for 12-24 hours is used to give Spotted eggs a chance to acclinate and settle properly prior to incubation.
Since people will also delay the activity of rotating the eggs for a few days (I read cases of up to 7 days) to allow detached air sacks to reattach in proper location. You put the eggs in the rotator or tray but hold of on rotating. This why they are position properly with narrow end down causing the air sack to sit at the fat end in a steady position to reattach and for gravity to set the yolk properly below the air sack nice and center. I will give a few days. 7 days scares me. I am thinking 12-24 goes at room temp depending on the time of day they arrive and then 3 or 4 days in the rotator with no rotation and then I will plug in the rotator.

Thanks for the explanation! I have always done this accidentally but not explicitly, ha.

80% humidity is excessive for lockdown. 65 to 70% is better. That WILL spike as they hatch.

Have a hygrometer handy and be sure to calibrate with a salt test first while the incubator warms up and the air cells settle. Mine was off by 7% and too much humidity can kill the embryos.

You might need a lid for your brooder, the little buggars will fly in short order.

If you're going to brood in the house, quail are stinky. Worse than chickens. Trust me.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom