Thinking of getting quails!!

I love my quail (coturnix, aka: Japanese quail). I was only going to do this for a year as a "covid project," but now I'm totally hooked on how well it integrates with my gardening. Deep bedding for quail and a rotating composter = tons and tons of vegetables and fruits.

And oh yeah, eggs. I love them in ramen. Quail eggs were made for ramen.

Last edited:
I love my quail (coturnix, aka: Japanese quail). I was only going to do this for a year as a "covid project," but now I'm totally hooked on how well it integrates with my gardening. Deep bedding for quail and a rotating composter = tons and tons of vegetables and fruits.

That's awesome! How is your set up? Do you have a coop for them?

Could you clarify to me about the bedding and garden? Do you have your quails where you plant?

Could you clarify to me about the bedding and garden? Do you have your quails where you plant?
They are in a coop that is attached to a run on the ground. The run has poultry bedding I buy from the feed store as well as chipped leaves from the garden. Every few weeks, I scoop up the bedding and throw it into the rotating composter. After adding water, the mix heats up in the composter and ages for about 3 weeks before being aged enough to mix with potting soil and use for plants.

The quail will nibble plants to their demise, so there aren't live plants in the coop with them right now.

They are in a coop that is attached to a run on the ground. The run has poultry bedding I buy from the feed store as well as chipped leaves from the garden. Every few weeks, I scoop up the bedding and throw it into the rotating composter. After adding water, the mix heats up in the composter and ages for about 3 weeks before being aged enough to mix with potting soil and use for plants.

The quail will nibble plants to their demise, so there aren't live plants in the coop with them right now.
I have some compost with chicken manure and bunny poop also when I had bunnies. I'm getting ready to start my garden.

Back
Top Bottom