Thinking of getting silkies…have questions…

What is npip?
Copied and pasted from their website: The National Poultry Improvement Plan
was initiated to help diminish the spread of Pullorum Disease, caused by Salmonella Pullorum which was rampant in the poultry industry and could cause upwards of 80% mortality in baby poultry. The program was later extended to include testing and monitoring for other poultry diseases. The program currently offers testing and monitoring for:

• Salmonella Pullorum (Causative agent of Pullorum disease)
  • Salmonella Gallinarum (Causative agent of Fowl Typhoid)
  • Mycoplasma gallisepticum
  • Mycoplasma synoviae
  • Mycoplasma meleagridis (for turkeys)
  • Avian Influenza

This TSC coop has ventilation, an open space along the top of the coop part over the run area, plus there is a slide window in the back. It looks similar to this.
View attachment 3373643
That's the same model I keep some of my birds in. Ideally there is at least a square foot of ventilation per bird. That coop only has like a square foot total, maybe a bit more without modifying it

After reading over everyone’s comments, it may be bad timing right now with my current set up especially in the winter. I think I’m going to wait awhile before getting silkies.

What is npip?

was initiated to help diminish the spread of Pullorum Disease, caused by Salmonella Pullorum which was rampant in the poultry industry and could cause upwards of 80% mortality in baby poultry. The program was later extended to include testing and monitoring for other poultry diseases. The program currently offers testing and monitoring for:

• Mycoplasma synoviae
  • Avian Influenza
All true, however only a negative Pullorum/Typhoid blood test is required in most states to be able to declare one's flock NPIP.
Some states have included HPAI in recent years since the devastating outbreaks back in 2016/17.
In Missouri PT testing is free but all the other tests come with additional cost.
NPIP is a national program that has been quite successful, it is administered with different rules by states. Some have no cost, some have a fee. Missouri requires every bird over 4 months of age on a property to be tested. Other states only test a percentage of all birds.
At least here it is pretty simple and only happens yearly. I recommend it if one will be selling birds or eggs. Almost every state requires certification before importation. In MO, one is actually required to be NPIP to sell within the state. But I know a large percentage of people ignore that rule.

In other words, even though it is advisable and promising if a flock is NPIP certified, it doesn't mean the flock is disease free. They could be riddled with many different diseases. They just are Pullorum free.

Last edited:

• Mycoplasma synoviae
  • Avian Influenza
Thank You!!

Back
Top Bottom