Thinking of getting Sumatras

silkieluvr

Songster
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Marin, California
Hey everyone, we've decided that the mille fleur's are just too sensitive and we're giving up on the breed. So now we have to find a new breed, preferably not a scfl (single comb feather legged) maybe sumatras? Would anyone show any interest in those if we decide to do them? If not, any other suggestions?

Alyssa

Alyssa,

Hey, I've had both the Bantam and the Standard size Sumatra's and I really liked them. I have kicked myself a lot for ever selling my Bantam ones. So if you do get these I would be interested .

James

Alyssa,

I think sumatras are wonderful (esp. bantams) but I cant get any because of space. I would need more room for them because I think they like to roost in trees and free range.extensively
D.gif

I have also found the milles to be pretty sensitive

Last edited:
Hello Alyssa,

Your question is if people would show interest in this breed, should you decided to raise them and presumably sell them. I'm not so sure. They are, despite their good looks, not a very popular breed. So, one question to ask yourself, if you intend to sell them, is...can I create an interest in the breed in others?

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I didn't know about them requiring so much space as we keep ours in breeder pens(much more spacious than many breeders do), but nontheless they are not anywhere near freeranging. So, I'll talk to Kanchii and see what she thinks. Can anyone else think of a good suggestion on breeds that are not scfl, that are bantam, and that tolerate confinement well?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom